Chapter 45

Carter's pov

"Wait- what?" I choked on my muffin trying to down it with my smoothie.

"I- I know how unprofessional I am to be entangled with my patient's parent but-

"Wait wait wait- actually? Like??? Deadass?" I finished chewing as I looked at Simmons as if it's the first time I'm really seeing her.

"I know sweetie, I should've just came forward- but everything with your dad, you in general. I just didn't want to drop something like this on you," my mom explained.

"Okay but you could've told me the other day in the car before I went awol, this is literally the coolest thing ever!" I was excited about my mom dating a girl.

A look of relief overcame the both of them and I cleared my throat.

"As cool as it is, I don't appreciate how I was caught in the crossfires. Every decision  I made was subliminal therefore not genuine. I feel screwed over," I took the shining light from their eyes.

"And for that, I am truly sorry. I was really moved with the lengths your mother was making for you and I couldn't stay away and one conversation about your well being led to another and well, you brought us together... to my assumptions it was justified if we helped you- in a twisted yet scandalous way," Lillian mumbled.

"Something tells me Scandal is your middle name, you seem well versed," I eyed her.

"Carter!" My mom snapped.

"Melissa, it's alright. She can't be mad at you, not while she's healing. She needs you more than me. I'm just the ear she talks off," Lillian remained calm.

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmm" I got up and walked across the kitchen to circle around Lillian and get a real good look at her.

"Mmmmmmmmmmm" I looked her up and down.

"No more therapy sessions. I can't trust whether or not there's a hidden agenda behind them. At least now that I know you're seeing my mom, I know what's to expect whenever I want advice from you. Your voice is going to be alignment with hers. That's something I consider valuable," I stepped back to my little corner of the kitchen counter.

"Carter-

"My roof, my rules but if that doesn't suffice, my life, my terms," my voice lowered at the last part making it known that I may be nice but I will put my best foot forward.

"Fair enough, Melissa, I really don't want to cause any harm," Lillian was pouting.

"My mom has nothing to worry about because as far as I'm concerned, the only that has changed is the title of you being my therapist to being my mom's girlfriend. I'm still going to talk to you about what's going on considering you're the one who has a career in psychology and my girlfriend doesn't want to get involved without being unsure of what's best for me. At least she's giving me the space to grow unlike you two," I scoffed.

"Also fair," Lillian bit the bottom of her lip in defeat.

"I'm starting to like you more as my mom's girlfriend than my therapist," I stated.

"Carter?" My mom caught my attention.

"I'm sorry," she rushed to me with a hug that has caught me off guard.

"You're forgiven? Mom, I only wanted the truth," I was so confused by all of this. No one's lost anything- matter of fact everyone's benefiting from this conversation so why is she apologizing?

"I know but I didn't make it easy for you," she winced and I just sighed in defeat allowing my self to soften to her gesture.

How can I be upset with her?