21. experiments

High School AU
Dream is a reasonably popular guy. But he's questioning. Everything. He's scared, confused, doesn't know what to do. So, in a panic, he turns to George; one of the only openly gay guys at school. Also, coincedentally, Dream's kind-of-crush. He isn't willing to help at first, but eventually he agrees. The experiments do help Dream -- but he wants more. However, he's never been good at words. [fluff, lime] 

George crosses his arms and frowns at Dream. "You want me to what?"

Dream shifts uncomfortably. "I know you heard me," he mutters.

"I heard you," George says, frowning, "I just don't believe you."

"Look, I'm not proud of this, okay?" Dream says. "But I'm confused and I just want to figure me out. I want help. Please?"

George raises an eyebrow. "How do I know you're not fucking with me?"

Dream chews his lip. "I guess you don't," he admits. "I'm just that one guy who everyone thinks is cishet, when in reality, he's struggling on a level no one even knows about. So I'm asking you for help so I can find myself again."

He looks at George pleadingly. 

George sighs. Dream is a nice guy. But he's one on those guys; soccer team, nerd, somewhat popular... and one hundred and ten percent straight

Usually, George assumes, Dream doesn't play pranks. However, he knows that if he agrees to what Dream wants, someone will pop out with a phone and Dream will laugh so hard it hurts. That's what boys do -- they prey on people like George and make a meme out of it.

See, George is bisexual. He's out and proud, but no one has ever asked him for help with their own sexuality. So George is very hesitant with someone like Dream. Very hesitant. 

But Dream looks so apprehensive, George considers agreeing. He's anxious. Maybe George should say yes. 

He sighs and uncrosses his arms. He holds out his hand. 

"What?" Dream questions.

"Give me your phone."

Dream places his locked phone in George's palm. "Unlocked, you idiot," George says, a small smile poking up the corners of his mouth. Dream giggles and unlocks his phone. 

George opens messages and types his number into the New Message box. He texts himself and hands the phone back. 

"That's my number," he says. "Use it responsibly or I'm blocking you."

Dream smiles softly. "Thank you."

George scoffs and walks away. 

....

Dream is pleased with himself. 

He not only actually talked to George after weeks of trying and failing, but he got his phone number. Double victory.

He understands why George was hesitant. I mean, Dream has had a few girlfriends over the years -- not that he ever really loved them -- but something always felt... weird. Or incomplete. He didn't feel right dating just girls. 

It was a mere few months ago, when he first noticed the brunet boy. It was in geometry, which had been one of his least favourite subjects. It's now one of his favourites for the sole reason it's one of his only with George.

Anyways.

He somehow hadn't noticed George beforehand. He always knew he existed, but he hadn't noticed him. Until he got bored. He looked towards the window, but instead of the leaves on trees, his eyes caught on the profile of the boy he'd been sitting two desks down from for nearly two months.