13. cracks

PART 2

Loner AU
George's bubble has cracks and Dream is unknowingly breaking the only thing that George thinks is was protecting him. [angst, fluff]

CW// mention of blood, mention of drugs 

When school finishes for the day, Dream takes George to his job, and sits at a table on his phone until George comes out from the back room.

"Hello again," Dream says, walking up to the counter. George's eyes dart to the crack before looking back at Dream.

"Thanks for the ride," he says. "You didn't have to."

"Maybe not," the blond replies , shrugging, "but I wanted to."

George waves Dream off, smiling, in an attempt to hide his blush. But Dream leans forward on the counter and smirks. "You're flustered," he teases.

"No, I'm not," George mutters, turning around. "What would you like?"

He can almost hear Dream's soft smile.

"Uh...."

George busies himself with another customer's order as Dream reads the menu. "Here you are," he says to the elderly woman, handing her her plate. She thanks him and walks away.

When he looks back at Dream, he's smiling affectionately at him, still leaning against the counter, one hand on his hip.

"What?"

"I like watching you interact with people. It's like it's a once-in-a-lifetime event. No offense," he adds at the last second.

"None taken. It kind of is. You're the only person I really interact with at school, and it isn't by choice."

He smiles as Dream grabs his chest dramatically.

"That hurt."

"Your heart is on the other side," he says, pointing at Dream's chest.

Dream glances down and moves his hand. Then he does it all again. George giggles.

"Dream, tell me what you want," he demands. "Other people might come in."

Snickering, Dream orders. George makes his order quickly and slides it over the counter to him. He's handed a 20 dollar bill.

"Do you want exact chan-"

"Keep it."

He looks up. Dream is smiling again, but it's a quiet smile.

"I get the feeling this place needs it. That you need it."

"That's ominous, but thank you," he replies, tucking it into the cash register. Dream winks before going back to his table.

George feels Dream's eyes on him the rest of his shift.

//

Over the next few weeks, they get closer. That gets George a few cracks. Then he meets Dream's friends. He can feel the pressure building up in his bubble as in his head, thousands of fists beating on the only thing standing between George and Dream's full friendship. He can feel Dream's fists pounding the hardest.

Nights are full of anxiety. Days are, too, but he knows how to hide it. He wants to slip back into his old self, hide away from everyone. He wants to repair his bubble, but he can't, with Dream and his friends constantly breathing down his neck. He needs air. But his bubble suddenly feels tight, and devoid of oxygen.