Chapter 43 - The Victory Banquet

It's here!

The Victory celebratory banquet.

It was way too early. Like, 9 months early.

But for whatever reason, everything was just like what was described in the novel.

The great hall of Crystal Palace was decorated with flags of the Helios Empire and the South Kingdom flags. There are colorful ribbons decorated over the ceilings. Illusion magic of flower petals falling that disappear once they reached the floor. The sound of joyful music filled the hall.

Why am I even here?

I sighed.

I said I don't want to attend this!!!

I glanced at my mother who was standing elegantly beside me. Graceful and gentle Duchess Arianna Helios Reynold.

Who could've guessed that only a week ago, she dropped disgracefully on the floor, sobbing and crying her eyes out at the sight of me walking out of the magic carriage?

I was feeling so sorry seeing her like that. I mean, I was totally fine, living a wonderful laidback life in the tower...

It didn't cross my mind before, but as a mother, I can imagine how worried she had been.

Her sorry figure that day pricked my conscience deeply.

"If you feel sorry for your mother, then be obedient for once!"

Father lectured me.

"Just do what you're told to. Don't make excuses."

Greg poured more fuel on the fire.

Damn. I'm reminded of the day when I arrived home.

Yeah, as expected, I was instructed to go straight to the Duke's office right after I arrived.

"Ah, Dear, Greg, don't be too harsh on her."

My dear mother even told them that before excusing herself to rest.

That was so sweet of her.

But unfortunately, I had an earful of lectures from both Father and Greg.

"What were you thinking when you left the house leaving us that suspicious letter?"

"And you even troubled the successor of the Magic Tower to trick us with your letters! I know he's your cousin, but still. How can you trust him more than us?"

"You should at least contact us and explain your situation clearly!"

"And why didn't you come home earlier? In the end, I had to agree with Gregory and asked help from Crown Prince Julius as the last resort!"

"Hahh!"

Father sighed heavily.

After a pause, his tone became a little softer and his voice was lower.

"I can't imagine how anxious you might've been, but Lyssa... I wished you rely more on your own family."

I can't say anything back to everything they said. It was indeed my fault and I totally admit I was guilty.

"You're grounded for a week, little lady. But you must attend the banquet. Gregory will prepare everything for you, so, go to your room and rest well."

So, that was how it went.

I sighed for the hundredth time.

I guess my attendance today is a punishment that I sentenced to myself, more or less.