Chapter 14: Nova

(Supernova spoilers)

The world seemed to freeze in place as everything Nova thought she knew crashed down around her.

"You're lying," she hissed. "Ace raised me, he's the reason I'm still alive."

"Exactly. I'm assuming that he saw your potential, what you could do. That's why he didn't kill you."

"You're lying," repeated Nova. "You're liars. You say you'll protect people, and then you don't. Innocent people have died because of what you don't do."

'"Nova," Captain Chromium said softly.

"DON'T CALL ME THAT," she roared, anger coursing through her. "YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD BE THERE, AND YOU WEREN'T. MY FAMILY WOULD STILL BE ALIVE IF YOU HAD JUST DONE YOUR FUCKING JOB."

"Someone was there," Captain said, his blue eyes full of anguish.

"Oh yeah? Who? Why didn't they stop him, then?"

"Nova, let me tell you the real story of what happened that night. Will you let me tell you?"

Nova didn't want to listen, but her curiosity outweighed her hatred. She gave a sharp nod.

"Ten years ago, your father came to us with a confession. He told us he had been making weapons for his brother. You probably know by now that he made your uncles helmet?"

Nova nodded.

"He wanted to stop Ace from his conquest for power, and asked us for protection. We agreed, but in return he had to stop making things for the Anarchists. And so he did. We had someone posted there everyday. But Ace had a plan. He sent someone to... deal with your guard."

The captain stopped for breath.

"And who was our guard? Some rookie renegade who didn't know what they were doing? Is that how much you cared?" asked Nova, her voice breaking.

All this was too much. Learning that her uncle, the one who had raised her and cared for her when no one else had, was the reason she didn't have her mother or father or sister was the worst part of an awful day.

Captain Chromium looked her straight in the eyes. "We sent Lady Indomitable."