Chapter 9

"The number you are calling is currently switched off. Pl-"

"Ugh! What the fuck is her problem? Why can't she just-"

Why can't she just... talk to me instead?

"Am I hearing wails of agony?" Said the most chirping voice on the gloomiest day of the week.

Let me remind you, it was cloudy from the day Kiran walked away.

His enthusiasm was sickening.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I groaned as he caught his heart in faux pain.

"Such a Brute! Well, Hello there! I'm Adhvaith, a bastard who helped you to revisit the nightmare you had at the beginning. Nice to meet you!" He smiles a sugary sweet smile, which generally means trouble.

Guess, I'll have to treat him to lunch.

-

"So? Why the long face?" Asked Adhvaith, munching on his starters, resting his chin on his palm.

"Nothing man... I think it's the weather. It's been gloomy for too long..." I trail off.

It's been so long since I saw a ray of light. (If you know what I mean.)

"Agreed. The weather is not quite right. I mean, it's still July ending. Someone must be crying hard." He sympathizes.

I whip my head towards him "what do you mean by crying?" I ask. I didn't know the phenomenon works.

"I don't know if you ever heard, but my grandmother used to say that, when a good person is going through hard times and is not able to cope up, they say the sky cries for them." He looks outside the window dreamily.

"You believe that?" I ask in a lot of bewilderment. I never took this guy to believe such things.

"I don't. I guess it's due to global warming. But nothing wrong with knowing these kinds of things... you know. These little snippets sometimes carry our culture." He pauses for a moment, while I wait for him to continue with a small grin on my face.

"When I was very small, my leg fractured. It was not a major one, just a hairline crack. That's all. But it pained like hell. My grandmother used to tell all sorts of stories, where ultimately the one who goes through the tough route, wins. She, later on, chanted some mantras, made me chant some Slokas.

I still remember you know? I never used to believe when she said "God will take away my pain." The truth was that it was her, who believed in my recovery, and made me believe so." He smiles as he recalled something.

"Ah! I miss her a lot, sometimes." He admits, stuffing his face with some Manchuria.

"Where are you from, Adhvaith?" I find myself asking him. No particular reason, I just wanted to know where his culture came from.

"I am from Hyderabad itself. My parents are from tribal parts of Telangana. Naikpods to be exact." He specifies.

"Oh."

Maybe a good person is suffering.

-

"Ah! Now you are my favorite human!" Exclaimed Adhvaith, clearly shining in an unworldly light, that can make you cringe.

"When will you behave like a human excepting in your working hours?" I asked sipping my cold coffee.

"You must feel lucky that you know this side of mine." A sly smirk addresses his face while he sips his mojito "So... Who's that girl?"