Chapter 14

When it was light, I was shaken awake by a very distressed Danny Dutch, half pulling me out of bed, "Lope, where the fuck are we?" He whispered, panic stricken.

"Don't panic," I rubbed my eyes, sitting up, "It's a long story."

"Well, you better start fucking explaining! Fenrisúlfr is out there right now!" He pointed to the door, "Mind explaining how we're not in danger?"

I couldn't help but giggle at him, he was sweating, his breathing uneven in his distress, gripping my arm in urgency. His bruise was healed, but his eyes were bloodshot and tired.

Hoping his reaction wouldn't be dramatic, I blurted. "Fenrisúlfr is my bonded."

His grip slackened. "What?"

I shrugged, not knowing what to say.

He threw his arms up and paced the room, "How can you be his soulmate?" He barked out a hysterical laugh, "Honestly, I don't know who would kill the other."

"Okay." I stood up and grabbed his shoulders, turning him towards the bed, "If you want the whole story, you're gonna have to sit down." I started explaining the events of the past weeks, from Locke being locked up, to my mother's death and resurrection, to Cedar's castle to Alazne being a spy, and Fenrisúlfr being my bonded. I explained how Fenrisúlfr invaded our pack but found me instead when I was held captive in front of him and how I ran away to find him, leading him to him saving my life. It felt like the world was lifted from my shoulders once I confessed, finally having the room to breathe again.

His jaw was open, almost touching the floor, completely flabbergasted.

"Yeah well..." I breathed out, "It has definitely been unexpected."

A knock sounded at the door, "Are you guys done?" Alazne yelled, "I'm not the only one curious as to how blondie is taking the news."

"Blondie?" Dutch mumbled to himself.

I opened the door, "Ask him yourself."

Alazne shifted her eyes behind me, looking him up and down, "Hmm," she hummed, "He looked better with the bruise." And she turned sharply, walking back towards the kitchen, "Come get breakfast before it all gets eaten."

I looked back at Dutch, raising my eyebrows, "I may have said a few things last night that I now realise I probably shouldn't have." He mumbled.

I smirked at him, "I'll prepare your eulogy."

His face fell.

Ekon was in the kitchen with Alazne, eating some eggs and ham. "Where are the others?"

Alazne smirked at me, "They're hunting, apparently ham and eggs are too sophisticated for them." She rolled her eyes.

"They should be back anytime now," Ekon said, finishing his plate, "We need to head off."

Just as Dutch and I finished breakfast, Fenrisúlfr walked into the small cottage, wearing nothing but a pair of cut-off trousers sitting low on his hips, showing off his impressive, muscled upper body. I choked on a bit of ham, coughing and spluttering trying to clear my airway, my face heating up.

Dutch slapped my back, looking unimpressed but otherwise silent, seeing Fenrisúlfr for the first time in person, as I would know, was intimidating.

Fenrisúlfr held up my satchel, his eyes glaring at Dutch, "You will need this."

Breathless, I stood and walked right up to him, I could feel the heat coming off his body as I stood there, his green eyes studying me.

"Thank you," I murmured, taking it, and shuffling away. I breathed a sigh of relief once away from him, the pull deep inside me returning.