Chapter 6

Locke and I walked back to the castle in solemn silence, lost in our own thoughts. I was accepting that my cousin will never love me, all these years I had despised and disrespected him, but I still loved him, secretly under all the layers of hate, he was still my brother, still my blood, the unconditional love because he was family. But now I know he will never love me back, his hatred and detestation for me overruling anything else that had the potential to break through. He obviously feels something for this strange girl, feels something stronger than he ever will for his family. It hurt to think about it, but finally, I know, that even blood isn't strong enough for his love. I grabbed Locke's hand. At least he still has a little bit of love left for her, or at least, I am hoping this girl won't suck it all up so there's none left for Locke, she deserves, out of everyone, to be loved fully and unconditionally.

She swung our arms back and forth, "It may look like my bother has possibly found his one and only..."

I didn't want to believe it, but there was no denying the obvious. "Yes..." I sighed, "Hopefully now he'll focus more on her than us, we can have a little more freedom."

Locke pulled me up short, "What freedom?" She questioned, "You have a duty to your pack, you can't leave again."

"I have no duty when this woman takes the position of Luna. And you won't either, you'll be done, you can go live your life, visit mother, find your bonded."

"Lope..." She shook her head and continued walking.

"What?" I ran after her, becoming out of breath very quickly. "What is holding you back? Your duty? That's bullshit! Our brother is a fucked-up creature that abuses his power and his family, we need to get away as soon as we can before there are two psychos living with us!"

"I can't leave!" She yelled, I was taken aback, "I can never leave, I will always have a duty for my pack!" She breathed hard, "I was meant to be Alpha, I was meant to protect the pack from creatures like Cedric," she said, "I can't leave when someone dangerous is leading my pack."

Pride swelled in my chest, as well as guilt, I should have known. "I'm sorry," I apologized, "I didn't know you felt so obligated..."

"Well, I do," she lifted her chin, "But what I saw in that room with that woman was eye-opening." Her face was hard, eyes determined. "That woman will not become Queen of this kingdom." She started walking again.

"So, what are you going to do?" I asked, intrigued.

"I'm going to invite my mother for a little visit."

The reasoning behind her words brought an almost sinister smile to my face, creating so much joyful malevolence I felt like laughing. "How will you find her? Or contact her?" I questioned.

"I can be very smart when I want to be, Lope. Just you wait," She spoke with the exact feelings I was expressing, "She'll make him so squeamish he'll be puckering his asshole." She laughed. "I know where to start..."

"What do you need?"

"No, you cannot be involved, one of us has to be completely inconspicuous." We reached the castle steps, and before we parted, Locke smirked at me, "Don't you worry about a thing, little cousin, soon we'll be back on top."

I walked up the steps as Locke disappeared around the side of the castle, laughing to myself as I ascended the many stairs towards my chamber.

My mother was finally returning home, a thought I had longed for since she had left many years before.

In my room, I opened up my window and gaze out into the valley below, basking in the morning sun. It was so beautiful and peaceful up here, so much so one could almost believe that this was just some ordinary kingdom, starting their day like ordinary half-breeds. However, there was just too much wrong with that thought for it to ever be true.