Epilogue

Ash covered the ground as Cedric walked through the wasteland that was once Silver Lupus. This castle was his, these burnt houses were his, this land was his, but he couldn't help but think, his ownership of these lands, the remainder of Fenrisúlfr's kingdom, the magic that lay here, was betraying him.

His army had marched on these lands, but was met with no resistance at the border, invaded the village, but there were no people in their homes, and finally, reaching the castle, finding the whole kingdom had been abandoned.

No one was left, everyone had gone. Cedric knew this territory belonged to Fenrisúlfr, and he knew his confidant was truthful. Cedric had expected a war against Fenrisúlfr's military forces, only to be surprised by the unexpected; the lands deserted and the fortress uninhabited.

Why would Fenrisúlfr leave his lands, to be taken without force, by anyone who might have stumbled across it?

Cedric trekked the empty halls of the castle, pushing open the doors he had imagined opening so many times before, bearing the force of his whole army into the belly of Fenrisúlfr's vulnerable hands. But it was eerie quiet, and there was no blood shed.

Cedric ran his hands over the single throne, trying to calculate how this was beneficial to Fenrisúlfr; what was he gaining from leaving?

Cedric couldn't help the trepidation creeping up this throat. This was too easy; this was too suspicious. He was promised a waterfall of blood and broken men that would win him the territory that was once Fenrisúlfr's.

But where was the opposing army? "Burn everything to the ground," Cedric commanded. This was not apart of Fenriz's plan, "Until there is nothing but ash."

***

Ash was floating down around everyone like tiny little silver snowflakes shards. The last of the soldiers emerged from the burning building, closely escaping the flames, dragging out their alpha behind them.

He had arrows protruding from his body in multiple places, his skin was burnt, peeling and blistering, and was covered in soot and ash, sticking to his body where he bled. She watched her alpha, brain a fuzz and body numb, as he attempted to stand, but his legs collapsed underneath him, watched as he tried escaping the grasp of his loyal soldiers, however being too weakened to do so, and watched as he reached, helplessly, into the orange flames. She listened, into the blaze of the night, as he howled like his soul was tormented and crucified. Which only meant one thing... Lope was gone.

Senselessly, without her knowing so, her knees gave out as the house fell. Her alpha howled a broken, mournful cry of grief, and many others joined their alpha's cry in procession. Howling their grateful respect to the one that died to save them.

But Alazne remained silent, wretched from the heartache, awed by her power, and loved as a friend. A single tear, turned golden from the fire, fell from her eye in the harrowing realisation that she was gone.

***

Ash puffed in smoky clouds as the footsteps draw nearer. There were no remains left, no baseline structure of the dwelling, no bones remaining from the dead, even the steel had melted in the glory of her flame.

The ash covered her shoes and was turning her skin silver as she made her way across the burnt and desolated place. The woman, covered in runes and rags, spoke softly into the noiseless night, muttering long forgotten incantations.

As the woman whispered, the ash began to lift, floating in the air and gathering together, forming shapes and objects which started to move, acting out scene after scene. Bringing forth the memory of the dwelling's destruction.

She watched as some burned and others didn't, watched as chains fell away from some while others were drowned by her wrath. She watched as two lovers said goodbye, one left trapped while the other was brought to freedom.

The woman stopped, hearing the echo of the girls last words, and looked down.

She reached out a hand.

Her hand, it seemed, saw only to be touching ash, until the silver, powdered, residue opened, and two golden orbs starred at her.

End of Book One

Sneakpeeks, character info and deleted scene's to come!

Thank you to everyone! ❤️

Much love, Rose 🌹