CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: The Fall Out

The last period was free for us. On our timetable, we were supposed to be having our English test, but Mrs Uche had already given us the essay to replace the test.

This meant that instead of writing a test right now my classmates would be using this period to play and make the loudest noise they possibly could.

Which was what was happening right now, I watched one boy get on a locker and throw a rubber ball at another boy on the other side of the class.

The boy caught it and threw it back to the first boy, it went on like this until the boy on the locker almost fell down while trying to catch the ball. It was then that he had the sense to come down.

I turned my head away from them to look out the window. It had started raining some minutes after I got into the class. After I had walked out on Zakariya outside the class.

It felt weird speaking to him that way, it felt like such a Nenye thing to do. I wondered if I'd been too harsh on him and he'd taken offence.

Who knows maybe he now hates me, and I've already been added to the list of people that he hates, right under Amina's name.

Speaking of Amina, she was oddly quiet this afternoon. Actually, she wasn't even in class, Kolade too. I'd lost track of him after we went our separate ways in the chapel. I wonder what he was doing right now.

Chidindu walked into the class with Jenifer following close behind. He came to his seat and sat down. She followed him and sat down on the seat beside him. She gave me a once over before looking back at Chidindu.

"Why can't you come?" she asked.

"Because I've got books to read."

"But by then we'll be done with our tests." She said like a child that had just been denied something.

"I'm not talking about those kinds of books." He said exasperatedly.

"Is it the Things fall apart that you said you were rereading?" she asked.

"I finished reading it weeks ago." He sighed.

"Then which one?" she asked.

"Does it matter which one? I still won't come to your party." He said.

Her look of desperation faded and was replaced with an annoyed look.

"I don't understand why you just like saying no all the time." She suddenly said in a very different voice.

"You know you're not the only boy I know." She continued.

"Okay...why don't you ask the other boys." He looked at her in amusement.

"I already have! And they all said yes, you're the only one saying no."

"I'm truly sorry about that, but my answer remains the same."

She groaned and stood up, "One day you're going to regret always pushing me away, and you'll beg me to shower you with the attention that I've been giving you but you won't get it, your window has closed." She said.

Chidindu didn't say anything, he just blinked at her.

"Goodbye, Chidi." She said and stormed away.

He groaned and rubbed his face then turned to face me, "That girl is so annoying."

"I think you finally broke her, I doubt she's going to be showering you with her attention anymore," I said emphasizing on the word showering.

"That's good, I've had enough of her bathing me." he paused after listening to what he had just said.