CHAPTER FIFTEEN: What are friends for?

Warning this chapter may contain references to the abuse of drugs and depression. This chapter in no way exalts the recreational use of drugs.

“What? What do you mean by she’s an addict.” I asked not sure if I had heard her correctly.

“She abuses drugs Zaram! She’s been depressed for a long time now and she’s been using drugs to fix that…She doesn’t have anyone to trust. I’m all that she has.”

“That’s ridiculous, what about her mother?”

“Her mother doesn’t care about her. She’s always too busy to even stay in Nigeria and when she actually has the time to come back home she spends all of it with Chidindu’s father, she’s never cared about Vicky and she’s damn well not going to start now.”

It all started to make sense, this afternoon she was acting odd, I mean more than usual. I had never noticed any signs of depression from her before. But for Nenye to be saying it then it must have been true.

“Nenye you need to tell someone about this, what if she Od’s and dies, what will you do.”

She started pacing about and shaking her head frantically. “No that’s not going to happen, we’re working on making her stop, she’s going to be alright.”

“If what you say is true then why was she high this afternoon? You’re not even with her right now, who’s to say that she isn’t using right now.”

She continued to shake her head and I felt sorry for her.

“She’s going to be fine.” She said again sounding more like she was trying to convince herself and not me.

It seemed to me that she was just living in disbelief when she knew very well that if she didn’t do anything Vicky was going to get hurt.

“How long has she been using.”

“I don’t know, she told me about it last year after her break up with Nathan, she said that it was her tipping point, her mother had recently gotten engaged to Chidindu’s father during that time.”

I stood up and said, “Nenye, if you know that you actually care about her, then you have to get her some help.”

She gave me a dirty look and said, “Stop saying it like I don’t care about her.”

“I’m just trying to encourage you to do the right thing.” I defended.

“I’m sorry if I’m not like you that’s always doing the right thing.”

“Nenye you know I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Well that’s how it sounded, sometimes you sound like you’re judging me and it pisses me off.”

I didn’t say anything as I got up and left her room. I understood that she was upset so I didn’t let what she said to get to me. All I hoped was that she would just do the right thing.

That night I searched for rehabilitation programs in Nigeria for drug addicts. I found some that were in Lagos and some here in Abuja. I was really happy for that, at least Nigeria was not completely behind in helping people like Vicky get back their lives. All I hoped, for now, was for Nenye to come forward and make Vicky get the help she needed. Even though Vicky and I weren’t really friends, I still hoped that it wouldn’t be too late when that happened.

********

The next day, Chidindu was back in the car, I tried to hide my smile when I saw him reading quietly in his normal position. I sat down next to him and greeted him when he turned to look at me, I knew something was wrong. His eyes were dull and he looked tired. I suspected his sullen expression was a result of the telltale fight he had with his father yesterday.