chapter ten

"You're late

"You're late." I said to Riley as she came rushing into the lifeguards office.

"I know, I know." She fussed with her things.

"So are we going to talk about this?" I asked, turning in my desk chair.

"About what?"

"You and Jack." I said.

"Oh, the elephant in the room." She smiled.

"How'd it start? When did it start?"

"Well actually, in the spirit of honesty, it started about a month ago."

"What?" I asked.

"Don't freak out."

"You've been lying to me for a month?" I asked.

"Let me explain." Riley said.

"No, ya know what, I don't think I feel that great." I said, gathering my things. "I'm gonna go tell Maggie I'm going home."

"Erin please don't walk out." Riley begged as I practically ripped the door off the hinges.

"Hey, brought you coffee?" Jack said as I passed him.

"Give it to your girlfriend." I said putting my bag on my shoulder and blowing past him, ignoring his calls to me.

I walked into the kitchen and saw Cole and Trevor goofing off at the counter after clocking out from the morning shift.

"Hey beautiful." Trevor smiled at the sight of me before noticing my facial expression. "Woah, what's wrong?"

"You have your guard cert, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, why?" He asked.

"Cover my shift, please." I said, clocking out and leaving.

"Erin, hey!" Trevor said.

"Go, I'll take it." Cole said.

"What the hell is going on?" Trevor asked, catching up to me.

"They've been lying to me." I cried.

"I- Okay this might sound stupid but I thought we covered that?" He said, holding my arms.

"No, they've been lying the whole time." I cried harder. "Before we got here, they've been talking."

"Let's get you home." He said.

"I have Quinn's car." I said.

"Okay, I'll follow you." Trevor said.

"No, don't I think I need to be alone." I said.

"Erin, come on."

"I'll call you later, or something." I said as I kissed his cheek and made my escape.

I took the long way home and grabbed some Starbucks for Luke and Quinn at home before finally making my way over there.

"Hey Bunny, what are you doing home so early?" Quinn asked.