chapter five

"So, you expect me to believe that you played three periods of hockey on a fractured ankle?" Trevor laughed as we approached his truck

"And scored two goals." I smiled as he dropped the tailgate.

"No way, and how old were you?" He asked, giving me a hand up to sit in the bed of his truck.

"Around 15-16." I said, taking Trevor's hand so I could climb up.

"Damn Hughes, that's pretty bad ass." He smiled. "You're boyfriend probably felt like a little bitch every time he got a paper cut after that, eh?" Trevor laughed as he brought his milkshake up to his lips.

"Maybe he would have if I had one." I explained as Trevor choked.

"No, now you're fucking with me." He said. "You've never had a boyfriend?"

"Nope, I mean I dated Cole when we were 7 but that doesn't really count." I giggled.

"Hold up, you dated Caufield?" Trevor asked and I nodded. "Lucky fuck."

I playfully shoved him as I laughed, taking a sip of my milkshake. The silence around us was calming and it was strange to me how close I felt to Trevor in the very short amount of time that I've been here.

"You like it here so far?" Trevor asked me.

"I mean I've been in Michigan before," I smiled and Trevor dropped his head, laughing. "But I do like it yes, I like the job, I like being with Jack before everything changes for him, and I like you guys."

"You love me." He teased, sliding closer to me.

"8.5" I teased.

"You know you do," He smiled, his arm on the side of the bed behind me.

"8.1" I grinned.

"C'mon Erin, there's no one around. You can admit it and there's no witnesses, I won't even tell anyone and you can keep pretending I annoy you." He smiled, barely two inches from my face.

"7.5" I smiled, and as soon as the numbers left my lips Trevor's colided with mine.

His hand gently held the side of my face while his other arm remained behind me. When he pulled away his forehead laid on mine, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"10." I whispered and Trevor chuckled, making me smile.

"I knew it." He teased.

"Ugh, never mind. 4." I laughed, pushing him away.

"Come on, I gotta get you home or Jack's gonna have my head for warm up shots." Trevor smiled as he stood up and dusted himself off before offering his hand to me.

He pulled me to my feet before jumping from the bed of his truck and lifting me down, then he opened the passenger side door and crossed the bed, the same as before. The ride home was silent, not because it was awkward but it was nice. The windows were rolled down as we drove and the radio quietly played country music as the summer wind danced across my cheeks. When we pulled up to the house, Trevor parked his truck and got out.