Chapter Ten~ Edited

I gaped with a wide open mouth. I had the sudden feeling of helplessness lying on the floor at my most vulnerable. I quickly glanced at the window to my room and saw I had left my window open accidentally. The fly screen to my window was already broken so it would have been easy for Cora to just kick it in and climb into my room. 'I'll scream.' I threatened her in a panic. I stared Cora down in a harsh glare. She stood there smirking triumphantly at me. I wanted to smack that smirk right off of her face. she thought she had won something. 

'If you do everyone will know about your...problem.' She sang confidently. 

My heart stopped. She was right. Everyone would take one look at me and chaos would ensue. Screaming for help was not an option. 'How did you even know?'

She giggled. 'Is that really the question you should be asking?'

'Yes!' I spat. 'And why are you here? Leave me alone!' I was a fantasy creature, how on earth did a mortal find out...unless she wasn't a mortal. That would make sense. She beat me to the house by swimming in the ocean to catch up- that person I saw running into the ocean must have been her. Lila and I had been talking freely about where we lived and how gorgeous the house was. She over heard and made an educated guess which house it was based on the details we gave. I smiled slightly and before she knew what hit her, I had directed a spout of water shooting her right in the chest. She squealed slightly in surprise before toppling to the floor onto her stomach and I gazed in wonderment at her tail. It was an ombre style like mine, except hers was different shades of pink. The lighter shade starting at her waist and the darker pink ending at the fins. Her hair was frazzled from the fall.

'Now we're even.' It was finally my turn to smirk. I felt a little better being on even ground. I had evened the odds and now she couldn't do anything to hurt me- from a standing position anyway. I held no doubts she was well adept at controlling water.

A secret, big part of me was just amazed to meet another Mermaid. This Mermaid freak show was somehow even more real to me now that I had seen another Mermaid. It was comforting to know I wasn't alone and made me ask, how many others existed among our kind too? Had I ever met one and not realised it? That was an exciting thought. I knew a whole species existed so logically some had to live on land especially after the war surely.

She rolled her eyes at me and brushed away her pink wavy hair. 'Not in the slightest. I have always been a mermaid- I have years of practice over you, mortal raised.'

'Well you're a terrible singer.' I snapped in irritation. I didn't know how it was relevant- but I hoped it would sting her ego and hurt her. 

It only made her laugh though and that further annoyed me. 'You think so? That's actually what tipped me off.'

I pulled a confused face.

Cora continued. 'I was singing at a frequency that would only entrance a mortal. Duh.'

I recoiled a little bit. Why would you want to entrance somebody? That sounded terrible to take away someones free will and why didn't it work on Lila? She was mortal. 

Cora seemed a little disappointed seeing my confusion. 'You don't know anything do you?'

'No.' I muttered. 'I'm still figuring it out.'

'I could help you?'

My head snapped upwards towards her. What? 'Why would I want that. You entrance mortals for fun!' Cora must have been a terrible person and I didn't want to know her.

'I did it to earn some mortal money. How else is a fish out water supposed to eat when she's on land?'

Okay, I was willing to admit that made sense. 'Oh.' Was all I could say to that response. It was true that almost everything up on land cost money. 'Still though, you were very rude and broke into my house then disarmed me!'