Believe In Him

The being was always alone...

So alone...

...

It's unfair to him. The being wants to be a part of something. It's been too long. He wished to be selfish for once.

Because really, how long can one not exist before they forget who they are?

Now, there were no consequences. Recharging–that's what the being had been doing while mulling in the dark. The blue hooded skeleton would never acknowledge him whenever taking a 'shortcut', and truly it dawned on the being just how alone he really was.

This time, when the skeleton was coming through the void, something was different. Oh, the smiling skeleton had brought passengers, is all. And yet, something–someone drew him closer. A soul that looked quite familiar.

Ah, yes, it was the one the being saved from succumbing to the void! It was relieving to see the bright soul glow with compassion even after all that had happened. Thankfully he was able to save the soul before it completely was lost to the void.

Without realizing he had reached forward, brushing his hand against the soul's owner. It was strange making contact with the living after so long–for even when he summoned enough magic to appear in reality, he was never corporeal.

The split second he had made contact with you, it was as though he was alive again. The sensation of reality was there for that wonderful moment but snatched away right after. And then the being was alone. All alone. He watched the blue hooded skeleton disappear with his brother, the determined one, and you.

"L E TTT ME OU U UT UTTT"

He bellowed into the void.

...

He was nothing, and nothing was him. Time didn't exist here and yet there was something fundamentally wrong.

...

The determined one. The little one who had once seen him. A door opened to nowhere, and the child walked in without fear. Instead of recoiling at the nightmarish sight of him, the child smiled and reached forward.

The being remembered that moment fondly. Though he had disappeared, he had wanted so badly to respond to the human child reaching out. What could he possibly do to become corporeal once more? To reach out to the child who had done so to him?

He wanted to see his sons. To apologize for being gone–for disappearing from their memories. Well, mostly, since the blue hooded one seemed more aware of the outer view of reality.

But what could he do?

...

Perhaps...

...

It was okay to be selfish this once.

...

Hadn't his son done the same?

****