Lost Paradise

You figured it would eventually come back to bite you in the ass. You'd forgotten about it, which was really not your fault since a lot of crazy things had happened. Though, preferably, you would have remembered sooner.

"SANS! SANS!!"

"jeez, bro, what?" Sans lazily opened his eyes, not budging from his place on the couch. You, on the other hand, saw how panicked the tall skeleton really was when he burst through the door. It'd only been a few days since the last sleepover, but Papyrus said he was bringing Frisk for another one.

"IT–IT'S FRISK! FRISK IS–" Papyrus was flailing around, and something across the room somehow broke. "I–I LOOKED AWAY FOR ONE SECOND–AND–AND–"

Now Sans was up, right next to Papyrus in the blink of an eye. He was carefully trying to calm his brother down, staying away from the exaggerated movements. "papyrus." Sans grabbed both of Papyrus's arms, holding them down, "what happened?"

"IT'S MY FAULT! IT'S ALL MY FAULT!"

And that's when the waterworks started.

You rushed into the kitchen and grabbed a bunch of tissues, going to the couch that Sans lead Papyrus to. The tall skeleton was hunched over, sobbing into his palms loudly. You looked up at Sans for some kind of explanation but were only met with the same befuddlement. Papyrus kept crying.

"Papyrus, hey, are you okay?" You kept your voice low, sitting by him and resting a hand on his shoulder. Papyrus lifted his head and noticed you offering tissues, but instead of taking it another strange thing happened.

"ARGH!"

The TV combusted. You screeched in alarm but Sans had stopped any flying debris. The shattered glass fell to the floor once released from the magic. "b–bro...you're going to have to tell me what's wrong." Thank goodness Sans had quick reflexes, huh?

"DAMN IT!" You blinked. Did Papyrus just swear? "THEY TOOK MY HUMAN, SANS!"

His human? You thought about it only briefly. Your heart dropped.

"paps." Sans held both sides of Papyruses head, keeping steady eye contact despite the flaming orange pupil becoming overwhelmingly bright. "what. happened."

"THEY...They were just trying to protect me..." And the anger melted away back into sobbing. You could only helplessly watch him breakdown, unused to seeing the bright and positive skeleton so down. "IT WAS A STUPID ROCK! THAT WAS ALL! BUT...but..." Sans kept him still but glanced to you briefly. You nodded at the hint and started checking Papyrus for injuries.

"bro, where is frisk?"

Thankfully, Sans preemptively put a magic barrier around you before asking. You jumped at the sound of glass shattering around the house. Yikes. Magic was...really dangerous when monsters were emotional. Guess it wasn't just a Sans thing.

"WHEN...when..." Papyrus took a deep breath, closing his eye sockets in an attempt to calm down. "WE WERE WALKING DOWN THE STREET WHEN A ROCK HIT ME. IT DID NOT HURT, BUT FRISK SAW IT." Sans growled slightly but quickly quieted. "FRISK...is very merciful. These humans were not very nice. They really did not like me."

You blanched. Racists.

"IT WAS A PITIFULLY SMALL POSSE! They were trying to get me to lash out but I refrained, for I am THE GREAT PAPYRUS! And, I did not want to scare the humans." You bit the inside of your cheek, sometimes hating the fact that Papyrus was so kind and considerate. These stupid monster haters were harassing him and yet he was considering their feelings? His kindness was unreal.