Maybe it's Hereditary

"What did I say about putting glitter in spaghetti!?"

"BUT IT'S SO PRETTY AND SPARKLY!!!"

"It is nOT TASTY!"

"I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, AM THE BESTEST CHEF IN THE WHOLE UNDERGROUND. IF THE GREAT PAPYRUS WISHES TO PUT SPARKLY SPLENDOR INTO THE SAUCE THEN THE GREAT PAPYRUS SHALL!"

"How about this; we go buy some eatable glitter at the grocery store and use it next time. That way it will be awesome and digestible."

"HMM...FINE. BUT I WILL REQUIRE ONLY THE GREATEST!!!! GLITTER MADE IN THE WORLD."

"Of course. Nothing less."

You giggled, sitting on the couch listening to the two argue. Sans hummed in amusement while brushing his phalanges through your hair, listening to Frisk try to bargain with Papyrus. Fortunately for you, it worked. At least now you wouldn't get a mouthful of 'splendor' as Papyrus would call it. Bleh.

"S–So uh...a–about the t-tests?" Sans flinched. You held back a sigh. You'd never felt more tension in a room before, for nobody had dared bring up what just happened. Alphys had Undyne next to her, Toriel having only spared Sans a glance of forgiveness before watching over the two in the kitchen.

It was silent once more. You took in a shaky breath. Toriel was healed–apparently, something called 'monster candy'–and anything that she couldn't do herself Papyrus patched up. You were surprised by how calm she was now. She had looked at you with a worry only a mother could hold, something detached and yet hopeful.

Toriel had presented what she thought would help but it had only ended tragically. Unfortunately for Alphys, Sans was harboring a barely concealed rage at what he had learned just moments ago. You grabbed his other hand and gently began tracing the knuckles, reminding him of your presence.

Huh, his hands were bigger than your face.

"look, alph, i'm really tryin a' keep it civil here," Sans shifts slightly and pulls you closer to him, the tone completely relaxed despite the words he spoke, "but when ya' go and say things like that, claimin' you wanna help me?" His phalanges twitched, "it makes it hard for me to believe you ain't got an agenda."

The way he spoke reminded you that when he wasn't having a breakdown he was supposedly a pretty chill dude. Was this what they meant when they said he changed? It was like night and day. It was unsettling how quickly he went back to the friendly, laid–back skeleton who wanted nothing more than to laze around.

Was Sans like this before he met you? Just a charming guy who wanted to take care of his brother?

Self-hate ate at you yet was quickly pushed away when a wave of love over took it. You blinked in shock, looking up at Sans. A gentle squeeze of your hand was all you received in reply. You smiled slightly, never having felt so wanted before.

"Look, Sans, we saw what you did to Toriel," Undyne leaned forward, "what she told us...what we heard..." Undyne coughed, taking a deep intake of breath. "You are not in your right mind right now and you know it!" She gripped her knee, pointed nails almost ripping her jeans.

"P–please, Sans. We o-only want t–t–to help you. I–it would only be until w–we find out what's w–w–wrong with your soul and magic." Alphys pushed her glasses up, "it's the safest option for everyone. W–we don't w–want you to hurt a–a–anyone, e–especially ________." The hairs on the back of your neck stood. You shuddered.

"are you saying that i would hurt my soulmate?" It was practically a growl, the way he spoke. You bit your lip nervously and looked up at the skeleton. You hugged his arm to you and leaned your head on it. The blue fabric was comfortable and smelled oddly of ketchup and winter.