40. The Wedding

"Jess? Are you alright?", the faint voice emitted through the phone speaker but I didn't have courage to reply.

Jessica has leukemia?

I slumped down on the bed, sorrow and regret engulfed me.

What have I done?

I have to stop Xavier from breaking her heart. She doesn't deserve to be left alone in such situation.

But if I tell Xavier, I'll lose him forever. He would definitely choose Jessica over me.

"This isn't about you, Hazel. This is about Jessica.", my inner voice countered.

But I love him. Am I ready to sacrifice my love for her happiness? All my life, I have been thrown away like tissue papers, Xavier might be my only chance of happiness.

"Think about dad. He would be ashamed of you if you try to steal Jessica's happiness.", the inner voice justified.

The voice was right, I couldn't be selfish at a moment like this. Jessica is an amazing human being, she doesn't deserve to fight with cancer alone.

"Yes, now go and stop him from telling her that he doesn't love her.", the voice called again.

Hopping out of the bed, I exited the room at a hurried pace. I almost collided with Stefan who told me that he watched Jessica and Xavier walking towards the garden. Muttering a quick thank you, I rushed out of the house towards the garden.

I sighed when my eyes landed on both of them, sitting on a wooden bench. By the look on Jessica's face, he hadn't told him yet. Though the way Xavier's foot was tapping the ground, I could say that he was going to.

I took large steps towards the bench, they hadn't noticed me yet as their eyes were zoomed into each others.

"You remember the day when Matt died?", I heard Xavier say.

"Yes.", she whispered.

"There is something you don't-"

"Oh my God Jessica, you are here, I've been looking for you everywhere.", I said in an exhausted tone.

"But we just met few minutes ago.", she replied innocently.

"Uhh.. Yeah.. The maid slipped orange juice on your wedding dress.", I lied. I could have chosen a better excuse but my mind was not working properly.

"What?", she nearly shrieked.

"Yeah, you should go and check.", I suggested and she looked at Xavier. "It's ok. We will talk later.", he replied and she sprinted inside.

"Why did you lie, Hazel?", he asked, his voice dripping with confusion.

"You can't do this. You can't tell her the reason you are marrying her.", I exhaled heavily.

"But why? You were the one who thought I should tell her. Now you are-"

"Jessica has leukemia.", I bawled and his eyes widened with surprise.

"What did you say?", he asked in a low voice.

"Jessica has leukemia.", I spoke again and his gaze dropped down to the ground.

"Xavier?", I asked when he didn't say anything for a whole minute.

"Why her?", he spoke in a low voice. "She has spent last four years working for kids suffering from cancer. How can she...why...why her? That's really not fair.", his voice was breaking.

"She doesn't deserve this, Hazel. She doesn't deserve to suffer.", he whispered, his eyes still zoomed on the ground.

"I know.", I mumbled.