3. Tiny, little argument

"What the heck did I just eat!", Alex yelled, rushing to the basin and expelled the bite from his mouth.

   "It couldn't be that bad.", I said, rolling my eyes and put a spoonful of the curry I made in my mouth. As the curry reached my taste buds, I almost gagged. It felt like I had eaten a bucket full of salt and then gulped down a large glass of bitter gourd juice.

  I know I was not a master in cooking. Hell, I couldn't even cook to save my life. Our fridge was stocked with ready-to-cook food and different kinds of sandwich spreads. Alex attended cooking classes few years back so he was my only source if I ever craved something fancy.

   "Who told you to cook?", He asked, laughing at my horrified expression.

  "I don't know. Guess I wanted to try something new this Sunday.", I said shrugging and walked towards the fridge to make a Nutella sandwich.

  "You wanna try something new, sis? Go out and have fun like a normal teenage girl.", He suggested and I narrowed my eyes at him.

  "I'm not a teenager. I'm 20. Besides, I would prefer watching a good suspense thriller than going out with a bunch of blockheads.", I said while munching on the delicious Nutella sandwich.

  "Okay there is something I want to tell you.", The humor in his voice was suddenly gone.

  "What's it? Don't tell me you have started taking drugs. Or worse, that you are planning to major in maths. Because let me tell you brother, it ain't pretty.", I joked and he rolled his eyes at my sudden joviality.

   "Umm. The thing is that.. umm.. I.. Annawantsmetomeetherparents.", he blurted out in a single breath.

   "What?"

   "Anna wants me to meet her parents. She had invited me to dinner tonight.", He said, a blush crept his face.

  I felt happy for him. He deserved some positive energy in his life and Anna was a nice girl. She seemed pretty innocent when I first met her.

  "Awww my baby brother is going to meet her girlfriend's parents.", I cooed.

  "She is not my girlfriend. We are just friends. Besides, her father, Dr. Harrison Davis is the best heart surgeon in our town and her mother, Rebecca is a world famous psychiatrist. I don't stand a chance in her life.", His voice was filled with sorrow and dejection.

  "Don't talk like that. You are Hazel Martin's brother. You are going to meet them and show them what you are capable of. We are made of steel, Alex. We should be proud of us.", I tried to console him and he passed me a sad smile in return.

  ...

  "Two mint margaritas and one chicken cheese burger for table no. 5.", Chloe, the head waitress told me.

  As the food got ready, I picked up the tray and walked towards that table. I felt anger boiling inside me when I watched the person on that table smirking at me. It was Derek, the devil's spawn. In front of him was sitting a tall blonde wearing a tight black knee length dress, batting her eyelashes at him.

  "Hey Angela, meet Hazel. She studies in my college.", He introduced me to her in a saccharine voice and doubt started filling my senses.

  She passed me a smile which I returned with a bored expression. Leaving them with their food, I went back to the counter.

  When they have finished, the head waitress asked me to collect their bill.

  After receiving the money, I was about to walk away when Derek's hand gripped me. I turned to face him  and found him standing right behind me.

  "Not so soon charity case.", He winked and I yanked my wrist away from him.

  "Here, take this 20 dollars as tip. And if you need more, call my dad's secretary. We donate money for orphans every month. I'm sure he can manage something for you.", His eyes were looking into mine, challenging me to say something.

   A vortex of anger swelled inside me, clouding my judgement. I picked up the half-filled cup of coffee from another table and tossed it towards him but he ducked in time and all the contents emptied on someone else behind him.

  A gasp of shock left my mouth when I realized it was the same man from that day, the one with gorgeous blue eyes. But the only difference was that he was wearing a blue fitting t-shirt this time which was now covered in coffee.

  A scowl etched on his face as he realized what just happened. His eyes left his shirt and found mine and they were filled with rage.

  "Best of luck, sweetheart.", Derek said and slowly walked out of my sight.

  "You...you...", He said through clenched teeth.

"Look, in my defense, you committed a mistake that day too. So now we are equal, right.", I asked and he narrowed his eyes at me.

  "And by the way, it was not entirely my fault. It happened because of that jerk." I cleared and his expressions didn't faltered a bit.

  "But why am I telling you this? You'd probably take this side. You are just like him, looking down upon the people who aren't rich. So guess what dude, you can kiss my shoe but I am not saying sorry one more time. You know-", my words left in my mouth when he closed the distance between us and now his piercing blue eyes were looking right into mine. His cologne was invading my senses, turning me into a speechless mess.

  "Shut this judgemental little mouth of yours.", He said, the veins in his neck popped out as he pointed his finger at my mouth.

  "Don't you ever get tired of judging others just because they are driving a fancy car or have a credit card in their pockets." He said and I sucked a sharp breath at his words. I couldn't say he was entirely wrong but I was not the one to back down.

  "Sorry to inform you but all the rich people I've met are world-class jerks.", I said confidently and he frowned at me.

  "Then I must advise you to change your company.", He spoke while his nostrils flared and created some distance between us. Picking up a napkin, he cleaned the coffee from his shirt and I couldn't help but notice the way his muscle was flexing or how he was almost towering over me.

  "Pray to God that we never meet again or I don't know what I'll do.", He warned and turned around. I watched him leave the cafe, his fists were balled at his sides.

  After finishing my shift, I returned home. Alex hadn't returned yet so I changed into sweats and sat down on the couch. Leaning my head back, I closed my eyes and a certain handsome face ran through my mind. His words rang in my ears and I felt ashamed of my behavior. He was probably right, I was a judgemental freak.

  Pushing the thoughts of him to the back of my mind, I decided to take a small nap but a knock on the door stopped me.

  ******************************

How was the chapter?

Do you guys hate Derek as much as I do? 😐😐😐

What about hazel? Is she too judgemental?