3: City of Saints

It seemed overnight that the chill crept down the mountain. Watershed County was at the southern end of the country and the weather usually remained springlike year-round but come Monday morning Hoopoe unpacked the hallway closet and dressed the bed in flannel blankets. Such weather wasn't so unusual in Yellow Mountain and at times four seasons lapsed in a week. Foreigners on holidays were often impressed with the weather, and called Yellow Mountain the Enchanted Nation.

Once the carriage horses were hitched Hoopoe along with her maid Naomi got on the way. The wagon wheels ground over the cobblestones. There was a drizzle in the mist, and the laden damp quickly moistened her cheeks and the bay coats of the horses.

At the foundling home, Hoopoe parked the wagon. Just outside, a large black carriage waited by the steps. A golden elephant decorated the door and men in fine livery gadded about by the entrance. They dipped their heads to Hoopoe as she passed.

Inside, Hoopoe hugged her box of donations to her chest. It had taken her half the night to shift through the drawers of bonnets, and stockings, and other precious cotton things. Kanga had long grown out of them, and Adolph suggested they give them away back then but she had clung to them.

In the lobby they came upon the noble women, arranging the donations at the tables. In their colorful garments, they reminded Hoopoe of butterflies. When they noticed her, they beckoned her to the table.

"Good morning." Hoopoe greeted as they fussed over her.

"Dear, Hoopoe, you must let Naomi do my hair like yours."

"Yes, Hoopoe it is not fair you keep such talent to yourself."

One of them laughed behind her fan. "Your hair is so thin, Martha no matter what the girl does you will never look like Hoopoe."

"Cherish every minute of her," one of the women said. "Once they are old enough, they are in a hurry to marry."

Using the slate around her neck, Naomi wrote, "I wish to stay with the duchess forever."

"Oh, that loyal are we?" the woman said.

One of the other women shifted through the box. "Are you certain you wish to part with these things? They are so wonderfully made."

"All of it must go," Hoopoe said. With a flick of her wrist, she cast off the items and moved towards the auditorium where the children were.

"Oh, Hoopoe," one of the women called. "The princess wants you in her office. You may have noticed Lord Igwe is here today. Kailyete is giving him an ear full. There is a problem with provisions and his lordship will not accept it is Medical Bureau's fault."

Hoopoe had no closer friend than Princess Kailyete Layland. There was little the two hadn't taken on together. From schoolgirls to debutants, they stuck at one another's sides. Hoopoe advocated for Kailyete's career and Kailyete was there throughout Hoopoe's misfortune.

Hoopoe was not too surprised Kailyete could be so bold as to blame Medical Bureau outright. She had to struggle to establish herself independently of her family and Medical Bureau made it all the more difficult.

Hoopoe took off her apron and passed it to Naomi. With her head high she went to Kailyete's office. Climbing the broad stone stairs, she met two imposing guards. They took one look at her, checked with the occupants of the room, then permitted her to enter. Kailyete stood and announced her.

Lord Igwe turned in his chair and greeted Hoopoe in a loud voice. "This is the honorable Hoopoe Goldenone. I never would have recognized you." He shook her hand vigorously. "Last I saw you; you were no higher than my knee."