14. The Outing

"I've told you I don't know what is happening."

"Where has he gone?"

"I do not know!"

The spinning wheel shattered, the bobbins scattered, the embroidery frame was already in splinters. The servants closed their ears as they always did when the prince lost his temper. This time she was particularly terrified. Wang burst into her room full of accusation having taken his bayonet from the wall. She could still taste the ashes in her mouth, her stomach was sick with the stale vase water. He threw her to the floor and struck her repeatedly with the weapon.

"Sorceress! Why won't you die?"

Akosua plunged her washcloth into the basin. Ringing it out, she scrubbed her face, willing painful memories away. The day often plagued her dreams. She should have bled to death, but the women of the nation had showered her with gemstones for wedding presents. At the time she saw no use for them but did not want Prince Wang or Princess Sun to get ahold of them, so she sewed them into the lining of her corset.

Taking herself in hand, Akosua went to the table by the window and picked up Teddy's letter. Taking out her stationery she quickly wrote down a positive reply and tucked it into an envelope. Sticking it in her pocket, she went downstairs. She put on her shawl, fancying a brisk walk to the post office and a quick stop in at the confectionary. She clapped her hands for Shadow to join her. As she turned to go out the door, she caught sight of one of the teachers running up the driveway. She opened the door, and met her halfway.

"Mary, what is the matter?"

"There is a delivery at the school, but they are asking you to sign for it?"

"There ought not be a delivery today?" Akosua said and they started back for the school. Upon arrival. Akosua found things as Mary said. There was a wagon with crates of goods unloaded at the school door. Two teachers were there attempting to solve the matter. Along with the wagon was a black carriage which Akosua could not make sense of.

"May I help you, sir?" she said to the delivery man.

"Princess Shu?"

Akosua squeezed her chatelaine. "Yes."

The man looked at his paperwork. "I have eight crates of nine bolts of fabric for you."

Akosua looked at the black carriage. "I did not order that."

The carriage door opened and Akosua went forward.

Prince Gao greeted her with a smile as he flicked the counters on his abacus. "Good morning."

"Why are you here? You never leave the Royal City."

"One does grow tired of the same scenery every day. And everyone insists my wife must be lonesome. How very wrong they always are."

"You can live at the compound. You do not need to follow me here."  She only saw the silver sheen in his dark dark eyes. It made her feel he did not care what she had to say.

"My parents inquire about your health."

Akosua squeezed her bonnet ribbons.

"Am I able to give them a positive report? You are looking a little thin."

"Tell them it is not something I can help."

Gao took a paper bag from his side and held it out to her. Akosua could tell by the smell what it was.

"I do not eat pork, Gao." After so many years being chastised for being the 'squid eater' daughter-in-law. She thought he would have remembered, but he paid so little attention.