17: A Lead

In the late afternoon, when Peregrine found Kim Seo-Jun, he was in his garden reading maps with his manservant.

"Chief Aide Peerless, I hoped you would come today."

Peregrine bowed. "Your Royal Highness."

"I did not have the chance to ask you earlier what you thought of my new clothes?" Kim Seo-Jun held out his arms. "The royal tailor says he has never seen dragons with eyes like these."

Peregrine smiled. "I must say it is very remarkable."

"I should reward the tailor for his hard work."

"Your Royal Highness, I believe the task of making the clothes has been reward enough. After all, who can say that they have had the privilege?"

Kim Seo-Jun ran his finger over the dragon's body. "After seeing my citizens at work, it is a privilege for me to reward them." He held out his arms to admire the sleeves of his garment. "I did not notice the heads of grain before."

Josiah smiled. "Shall we arrange marriage for you and the sleeve cuffs, Your Royal Highness?"

"Do not be silly."

Peregrine stepped forward. "Why have you brought out these maps?"

"Oh, this. On the tour I could not help but notice the refugees scattered about. I hope to find a place for them to live comfortably until they can return home."

"That could be some time. Even the governors have struggled with this matter for years."

"Please give me insight."

"I can only say that giving a man a fish will not feed him for very long."

Kim Seo-Jun nodded. "We should provide jobs for them. But, many will not higher island people. Not before a local at least. I cannot tell the difference between them and us."

"It is good for a king to be impartial, but that is not the reality of the society we live in."

"I thought Yellow Mountain prided itself on its humanitarianism."

"My wife says some things only work on paper."

"Do you think it is possible to see an end to this war when I am king, Chief Aide Peerless?"

"Do you have anything in mind?"

"What if I met Bak Haneul myself?"

"That is perhaps too bold."

"But what else has worked? At night I think of that regiment. I think something could have been done to save them." He sat.

"Your Royal Highness, you must put your hand to the plow and not look back."

"What do I do?"

"Be courageous. I do believe you will be a fine king."

Kim Seo-Jun poured them some water. "Chief Aide, Peerless there has been whispers for selecting a crown princess. My father never made plans for selecting me a wife. I..."

"Ah. Well, choosing a wife for a prince and a future king are two different things."

Kim Seo-Jun nodded, rubbing his palm on his leg. "When the time comes, will you be my guide?"

Peregrine smiled. "When the time comes, Your Highness all the kingdom's daughters will be presented to you and the elders of your family will have a powerful influence."

"I would much rather it be you, Chief Aide. You are the only one taking a sincere interest in me. Even when I was small, and the nobles visited the palace, and we played on Crown Crane Mountain. I wasn't very interested in chasing the other boys with swords."