Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

It was Friday morning, Tabby and I were going on our date tonight. Nothing could stomp on my good mood...or so I thought.

Third period English was usually my quiet period, but today Danielle Mays, who sat next to me, insisted on trying to talk to me. I didn't really know her, but I knew about how she'd say literally anything that was on her mind. She had no filter.

"So how's your relationship going?" Danielle asked casually as she copied down the notes on the board.

I looked at her skeptically. "Who wants to know?"

"Like, everyone," Danielle smirked. "In case you haven't noticed, you guys are the first lesbian couple in the school."

"Right, but...are we not entitled to any privacy?"

"Everybody talks, get used to it," she sang quietly, jotting things down in her notebook. "Besides, I was going to give you some advice just in case something does come up between you two."

"What would come up between us?" I scoffed. "We're only a week into the relationship."

"Oh, you know," Danielle shrugged. "some 'lesbians'—" she made the air quotes with her fingers, "—are in it for other reasons."

"Other reasons like what?" I questioned, rolling my eyes.

"Poor thing, you're so clueless," Danielle pouted. "Getting guys, sweetie. Girls pretend to like other girls because guys think it's hot, simple. The pretty ones are the ones to be watched."

"What are you saying, that Tabby would cheat on me?" I replied uninterestedly. I didn't believe it for a second.

"I didn't say that," Danielle defended herself. "But I am saying, just watch your back. Eventually a girl like that could cheat behind it."

"She would never even think about it," I scoffed.

"Don't tell me, keep telling yourself," she smirked. I said nothing.

I wasn't going to let Danielle Mays get to my head. She was probably between boyfriends, and she did have a reputation of trying to ruin other peoples' relationships when she wasn't in one. She was just jealous, that was all. Jealous that someone like me could be happy while someone like her wasn't.

Still, the situation had made me a little irritable for the rest of the day. The conversation played in my mind continuously. I said I wouldn't let it get to me, but eventually I realized that was exactly what was happening. I mean, when I had told Tabby about my bisexuality, she was a little shady about the whole thing at first. It took some prying from me to find out what she had wanted to say. But we were both nervous in the moment, I argued with myself. Tabby wasn't a liar, and I couldn't bring myself to think that of her. She was too perfect.

I was told to dress casual for mine and Tabby's first date. I still didn't know what it was, where it was, anything—but that added to the excitement. I put on my shredded red skinny jeans and a black t-shirt, my usual makeup, and my black converse. The ever-punctual Tabby rang the doorbell at exactly 7:30.