Chapter One

***Chapter One***

I slammed my algebra textbook shut on the kitchen table, feeling frustrated and stupid. I had gotten these equations earlier today in class, what was wrong with me now? It seemed like the security of having the teacher there to help if I needed her boosted my brain power. But those smarts never followed me home.

"Finished, Jette-plane?" Dad #1 asked in response to my shutting the textbook.

"No," I replied, rolling my eyes at that annoying pet-name. "Dad, be honest: Do I come off as dumb to you?"

"Dumb?" he asked confusedly, looking up at me from his cooking.

I nodded. "Be honest."

"Why, of course you do, honey," he chuckled, coming over to kiss the top of my head. "But that's why we love you."

I couldn't help but laugh out loud at his unexpected response. I loved him too, way too much to put into words.

I heard the garage door open. "Good evening, family," Dad #2, or Ryan Lee, greeted us loudly as he walked into the kitchen and set his things down. Ryan had been with us for eight years now. He was more of a stepdad, but I loved him all the same.

"Hey, Ry," I responded, smiling as he hugged me tightly. "How was work?"

"Hell," he answered tiredly, walking over to hug my dad. "How was school?"

"Hell," I agreed, starting on chemistry homework, having given up on algebra for a while.

"Those kids aren't still bothering you, are they?" Ryan demanded, assuming from my response that something had gone wrong at school again. He was always the more masculine one, wearing cologne, weight-lifting like a maniac, wanting to know who he should beat up for me. Sometimes I thought he was actually serious.

"I don't think they care enough anymore," I laughed. "Either that, or they're afraid of you." I remembered the last time Ryan had strolled into my school to have a talk with the principal. I was avoided for weeks.

"They should be," he told me, beaming arrogantly. "No one touches my baby girl." I squealed loudly as he grabbed me from my chair and tossed me up in the air. Just before I hit the ceiling I fell back down into his muscular arms, laughing like a little kid.

"Jesus, you have got to stop doing that," Dad scolded nervously. "She's not that little anymore, you'll hurt her one of these days."

"Oh, don't be so uptight," Ryan laughed, setting me down on my feet. "Jette-sandwich!" he yelled suddenly, squishing me in between him and Dad as I shrieked. I used all of my strength to push my way out, taking a breath.

"Okay, that's the thing you have to stop doing," I chuckled.

"Whatever, get out of the kitchen," Dad ordered, shooing us away. "I'm making art over here."

"Smells good," Ryan sang, retreating to the living room. I stuck around, not wanting to go back to my extremely boring homework. I leaned against the kitchen counter, looking over my shiny-black, polished nails as Dad mixed something together in a bowl.

"What's the matter, Jette?" Dad asked, looking up at me a brief second.

"Nothing," I answered simply.

"Are you sure?" Dad pushed, drawing out the vowel of the last word.

"Yeah," I told him, looking him in the eye, trying to sound convincing. I guess it didn't work.

"Jette Melissa Maxwell, I know you very well," Dad began. "I watched you come out of the womb." I sighed. Here we go, I thought. "I think I can tell when you're upset."