The Imposter | Chapter Twenty-Four [Disport]

This book is now available on amazon.com as an ebook

[Chapter Twenty-Four]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

disport \dihs-POHRT\

(v.) To amuse oneself in a light or lively manner; to frolic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not want to get out of my car any time in this century.

However, my attempt to ignore Kyle was not working out as I had planned. He was trying to walk towards the car on his crutches, making sure to groan and cuss all in a ploy to make me worry about him. Damn him, it was working. As soon as he tried to walk down the porch steps I groaned and exited the car.

"Fine, I'll come back inside. Just stop trying to walk down the steps," I said angrily. He was going to hurt himself and it would be my fault. Stupid boy.

He looked up at me and flashed a quick smile, quite pleased with himself. "Ok," he replied amiably, and started back into the house. I let out a tortured sigh and followed after him, hoping we could avoid a conversation altogether.

Closing the door behind me I turned around and promptly pressed my back against the door. Kyle was standing directly behind me, giving me no room to move. He watched me carefully, waiting for me to bolt. Truth be told, I wanted to run away, but I couldn't make my legs move, much less my mouth.

Leaning heavily against his crutches, he raised an eyebrow and stared patiently at me. I could still see the guilt in his eyes, but it was now accompanied by irritation and anger from me running away. I clearly my throat and tried to look away from him, but found that my eyes wouldn't move either.

"Are you going to act like an adult now and have a normal conversation with me?" he said softly, letting a small smirk lift the corner of mouth.

I scowled at him and crossed my arms, finding the strength to put a semblance of a barrier between us. "Whatever you say won't change what I saw," I snarled.

Kyle flinched, but didn't argue with me, which was the exact opposite of what I wanted. I was looking for a fight because it was easy to yell at each other and pretend like we were both mad, because if I had to actually stand there and talk about what happened...I would have to apologize for being a bitch. Right then, I didn't want to do that. I realized it wasn't completely Kyle's fault because he had no reason to doubt that the clone wasn't me. Hell, I wouldn't have known the difference if I had been in his situation. But I was angry and he was the only person near me that I could get angry at. However, he wasn't indulging in my need to fight. Damn boy knew me too well.

"I don't want to fight with you, Dayna," he said softly. "I'm sorry that I kissed her and I'm sorry that I didn't realize it wasn't you. However, you can't expect me to be perfect. Hell, I'm about as far from perfect as someone could get. You knew that when you entered into a relationship with me. My life is messed up but I'm trying really hard to be perfect for you."

Well crap, how was I supposed to stay angry with him after that? I kept all emotions off my face as I stared at him, trying really hard not to break down just yet. He couldn't be forgiven that easily, not until he understood just how angry I really was.

"I realize that you made a mistake," I said in an even voice, "but how am I supposed to trust that you won't do the same thing again?"

"Dayna," he rasped out, "Was my apology not enough? It happened so fast, I had no time to think about it. I guarantee you though; I knew something was off when she first kissed me. Hell, I pushed her away because something didn't feel right." His silver eyes flashed dangerously and he shuffled closer, moving his crutches out of the way.