5| And if she needs me to get rid of someone, I'm not going to say no.

Worrying is like a rocking chair.
It gives you something to do
but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Anthony's POV

It's almost midnight, and we're selling another shipment. All they need to do is give us the money, and we give them the weapons. It should be a simple transaction.

We meet in the middle, and one of them demands, "Hand us the goods."

"You have to pay us first," I say with authority.

"I guess we'll have to get it the hard way." He says, quickly grabbing his gun out.

We're all prepared and grab our guns. We all take cover and start shooting at them. A few seconds later, I hear someone scream like they're in pain. I decided to check it out. Just in case, it's one of my friends.

"Michael, cover me!" I yell, starting to run to where the scream came from.

I spot the person and see it's Kathy. I put my gun down and tried to stop her from walking. She looks like she's about to faint.

"Kathy? Where did you get shot?" I ask.

"Nowhere. I'm fine. I don't need your help." She says. I roll my eyes and start to come up with a response. She's clearly hurt. She starts to fall backward, and I immediately save her from a concussion.

Her eyes start to shut, and I say, "Kathy! Kathy, stay with me!" At that moment, I felt like I needed to protect her. But I push those feelings away and focus on her injury. I carry her toward my car and start driving back to my base.

On the way, I call my gang's doctor to meet us at the base. When we get there, I gently pick her up and run her toward the clinic. "Sunshine?" I whisper, hoping she's still awake.

I lay her on the bed and get my supplies. I slowly lift her sweatshirt, only up to the wound. I examine the bullet wound and try to pry it out.

Once the bullet is out, I start cleaning around the wound. I stitch the wound and notice she has a bunch of bruises around her stomach.

The doctor comes in, and I ask, "Can you scan her for any broken bones or serious internal bleeding?" I ask.

She nods, and I wait on the side. Even though we left no survivors, I feel like I should have found out specifically who hurt Kathy. A quick death is not deserved when you wound an innocent civilian. But she's strong, and I know she'll be okay. I'll make sure of it.

"She has two fractured ribs. But ice and some medication will help her heal." She explains.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" I ask.

"Probably in a few hours. But between you and me." She says quietly. "She has a ton of bruises and cuts all over her body. A lot of it was covered by makeup."

I frown and start to feel angry. Why am I feeling this? "Are you close with this girl?" She asks.

"No. I only met her last week. Why?" I ask.

"Well, in cases like this, she looks like she's been abused." She explains.

"She does some underground street fighting. Do you think they're just from that?" I ask, hoping her home life isn't bad. I don't see why someone would want to do illegal fighting if their life was good.

"I'm not sure. You'll have to ask her yourself." She says, standing up. "In the morning, I can bring her the rest of the medication she needs."

"Thank you for coming this late," I say.

She nods and leaves the room. I glance at Kathy's sleeping state for any sign of consciousness and frown when she doesn't look like she'll be awake anytime soon. I exit the room and see Michael in the hallway.

"What happened?" Michael asks.

"The person who I heard was Kathy. She got shot while we were at the dock." I answer.

"Is she okay now?" He asks.

I nod and say, "I stitched her up. The doctor said she'll bring more medicine in the morning."

He raises an eyebrow and asks, "Then why do you look angry?"

"The doctor said she might be getting abused," I mutter.

"Really?" He asks, frowning.

"If it's true, we have to help her. I'm not judging her if it's just from fighting, but family should abuse no one." I say.

"Is that the only reason you want to help her?" He asks. Well, I also want to protect her. What? Ya, I don't know this feeling either.

I punch his shoulder and say, "I'm not going to just let her suffer. And if she needs me to get rid of someone, I'm not going to say no."

<~~~~~~~~~~>

Thanks for reading!

Please vote and comment if you liked it! 💫

Byeeeeeeeeee! 👋