CHAPTER XXXVI

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"Two minutes...two minutes...get dressed up," Ace averts his eyes and speaks in a hard voice.

I can't tell if he is angry that he married a girl who is attracted to girls or the fact that she never told him about it or...never mind, I am just confused as to what is happening here.

I walk to Ace and place an arm on his shoulder. He looks at me with a small smile on his face. This guy is probably bipolar.

"What are you smiling for?" I ask whispering, for no reason.

"Kendall is lesbian!" He whisper shouts, the smile getting wider.

"She may be bisexual, babe," I mutter but nevertheless, a small smile makes its way on my face.

"Don't destroy my hopes, Kathy," he says and pulls out his phone. Calling Cassandra, he speaks, "Yeah mum, we found them...on the top floor...the unused closet...yeah, you are up for a surprise..." with that he cuts the phone and knocks at the closet door.

"A minute!"  their muffled voices speak at the same time through the door.

"What the fuck were they even doing here!" I could hear Richard coming up the stairs and shouting this in a perplexed voice.

"Take the wildest guess you could," Cassandra replies, her breath heaving.

In a minute, they both are standing in front of the closet. Richard, hands folded and a frown settled on his face whereas Cassandra with a slightly mischievous look on her face and as if she is holding in a good laugh.

I look at her suspiciously and ask he quietly, "You knew about them?"

She looks at me and admits, "Yes."

*** 

"Now," Richard speaks up, the first after recovering the shock he got when they both exited he closet, "Who's explaining?"

Veronica, her eyeliner smudged and lips swollen, hair as if someone has ripped them apart. Kendall is worse, with her ball gown full of wrinkles, make up fully smudged and top of her blouse ripped apart...Yes, ripped apart. I am awed.

"Not me," they both reply at the same time. Looking at each other, they sigh and open their mouths but Cassandra interrupts, "I will explain,"

"Take those chairs... there," she says, pointing at the chairs put up on the far end corner. Ace and Richard place them for us to sit. After when everyone is finally settled, Cassandra speaks in a loud and clear voice.

"I knew about both of them since the business deal Ace made with one of Veronica's hotels-"

"You did!" Veronica and Kendall cried incredulously at the same time. 

"Yes, I did," she smiled at both of them and continued, "But I did not tell Ace, there was no obvious need. We needed some time to support ourselves and this revelation would not have made much difference. As far as I know, Kendall's father, he would be indifferent to his daughter's feelings,"

"I am not surprised," Kendall mutters. Veronica smiles at her sympathetically and holds her hand.

"So, I kept quiet. Also Ace was a mess after he left Katherine. He had gathered many detectives to search her and when at last he found her, this all happened. I knew that Kendall was the reason why you couldn't get together-"

"Oh! Joy," Kendall mutters sarcastically, again.

Cassandra, as if not affected by this interruption continues, "So, we get Veronica into this equation and...voila!" she throws her arms up in excitement. 

"Okay," Ace says quietly and turns to the couple or would-be couple or whatever,"So you guys broke up or were together all along?"

"We broke up a few months ago...hadn't seen each other since then and when we meet again...WHOOSH! Sparks fly!" Veronica replies, not at all scared of Richard's sceptical stare.

"No surprises there," Ace mutters with a small smile, referring to us.

"So...what's the verdict?" I ask Kendall, first time speaking up.

She hesitates before replying, "I do not want to live this lie anymore, Ace...For years I have put myself as if I was enjoying your money and all but...in reality...it was the opposite. I hadn't imagined my marriage to be like this...so...incomplete. So, I guess..." she smiles and looks at me warmly, "I guess...you both should well go on with your plans-"

"And we with ours," Veronica interrupts.  Anyone can tell just by looking at her, that she is at the top of the world.

"I don't get it, what caused you both to break up?" Ace asks.

Okay, I guess this much bluntness isn't required.

"Aren't you intrusive?" Veronica retorts angrily.

"Nope, just curious," he replies, Veronica's 'I-am-gonna-kill-you-look' not affecting him.

"Well," Kendall answers placing her hand on Veronica's to calm her, "You were. Media would follow me everywhere and if they got to know of this affair, your reputation would go down incredibly, my father would hold me responsible and shit like that..."

Okay, now I am sorry for her.

"Thank you...I guess?" he replies, of course shocked by her answer. He gave me a disbelieving look as if he were saying, "She fucking cares for me!?"

I chuckled quietly.

"So," Richard says, folding his arms and unfolding them with a small smile, "Any more bombs you gotta drop?"

They both giggle quietly (WOW! I never thought I would hear Ver giggling) and shake their heads. Cassandra smiles at us all and hugs Richard from the back. 

Ace on the other hand speaks up with a brilliantly evil smile on his face. Oh! I am so going to regret listening to this.

"We are going to get married!"

Cue the shrieks, squeals and guffaws. 

And also me, momentarily dying.

***

"I can't believe you never told me about this," I mutter and ring the bell of Jordan's apartment.

Yes, we are back. After the little stunt Ace pulled, we agreed to this sudden and 'carefully thought' decision. I smacked him a couple of times when we were alone but agreed to the getting married plan. I simply couldn't dismiss the happiness on Cass and Richard's faces.

We even announced it at the party! It was a tremendous shock for the crowd, I guess someone even fainted. That someone was me. I know, embarrassing . But this time, I totally blame Ace again. He said it without even having me notified about this! 

That fucking bastard!

"Your welcome," Ver mutters and bustles in the house with a huge smile.

Jordan standing at the door, asks with a small smile, 

"So, I guess the party went well?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------