CHAPTER VIII

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"So did you have fun with Ace, Kyle?" I asked my little boy, resting in my arms.

His eyes sprang open at Ace's name and he replied excitedly, "Daddy is so cool, mommy!"

I sighed, yeah so did I think of that once. Once.

"What did you do?" I asked him, knowing he had been dying to tell me about it.

He sat up promptly, made himself comfortable and started, "Well... we daddy picked me up after school, all my school teachers were awe struck to see him there. But daddy didn't mind."

"Of course he didn't" I muttered.

Kyle looked at me confused but I just shook my head and indicated him to continue.

He started off again, in the same excited voice, "Then we went to his car, it was a huge," he spread his arms to describe the hugeness of the car, "and so beautiful! Then we went to the mall and he asked me what was my favourite color, my favourite toy and meals etc. I told him that I loved pizzas! So then we went to the pizza palace, the place where you take me on my birthdays! And he ordered a huge pizza, " he again spread his arms, to depict the largeness. Jeez, I guess everything was huge with Ace... SHIT. That meant extremely wrong, "and we ate it!"

I chuckled and tucked Kyle in his blanket, "So long story short young man, you had a really good time, today."

He nodded and snuggled in the pillow. I turned around to switch off his room lights as he murmured, "Daddy asked a lot about you too..."

Perplexed, I turned around and asked, "What about me?"

But Kyle was already asleep. I turned the lights off except the night lamp one and quietly shut his door.

Then making to my room, I changed into a comfortable sweatshirt and pyjamas and slithered under the blanket. I lay in bed, thinking about Kyle and Ace. Kyle, really needed a dad figure in his life...

Suddenly the quietness of the room was filled by the jingles of my phone. I groaned and looked at who was calling, it was Ace. I put the phone on silent and ignored it as it rang three times again, each time it going to my voice mail and Ace saying smugly, "I know you are there,"

"I know you are there, Kathy..."

"Kathy..."

I whisper screamed and finally picked up the phone. "WHAT!" not caring for the formalities.

"Good evening to you to Kathy," his voice said smugly.

I sighed and asked, "Ace, you very well know that I love my sleep,"

"Yes,"

"Then why the hell are you disturbing me at.." I stopped and looked at my clock, "at ten o' clock in the night!"

"Maybe I was bored..." he replied, then his voice turning octaves deeper, "or maybe, I was missing my favourite person in the world,"

Yeah not having any effect on me, "Ace, I don't care you are bored but I am tired so goodbye,"

"WAI-" I hung up on him.

Then two minutes later my phone rang again.

And again.

again.

Freaking AGAIN!

I picked up and muttered, "Ace please let me sleep,"

"But I am bored, " he whined from the other side.

I sighed and said, "So Kyle had a really good time today,"

I could hear his smile from the other side as he replied, "He is a really good kid,"

"Uh-huh," 

"And energetic, sweet, smart, prompt and-"

"Yes Ace, I know," I muttered as he continued listing more of Kyle's traits.

"impeccably handsome,"

"Yeah..." I answered tiredly.

"Like me,"

"Wow," I feigned bewilderment, "Aren't you a modest man, Ace?"

"I know, sweetheart," he whispered.

My breathing stopped for a second as he whispered 'sweetheart'.

I quickly tried to cover my quietness and laughed uneasily, "So..."

"So how was your day?" he asked.

"Fine..." I replied promptly, "Actually it went really well..."

"Is there by any chance that you would tell me where you where?"

"Nope," I replied popping the 'p', "and please stop tracking me,"

He sighed, "I am not-"

"Ace," I interrupted him, "please stop doing it. Its freaky that you know where I am and what I am doing,"

He sighed again and muttered a small 'fine'.

I replied, "Thank you,"

We both remained silent for a few seconds after that until Ace muttered, "Love has always been a mystery to me,"

My heart skipped a beat as he said that. WOW! Sudden change in conversation.

"Yeah?" I asked uneasily.

"Yes," he replied sleepily, "It has been that, because it has no one to explain it, isn't it?"

"I don't think so, Ace... are you alright?"

He didn't answer my question but asked, "What is love to you, Katherine?"

I remained quiet and then whispered back, "It's... it's..." I couldn't answer. The memories of me saying 'I love you' to him came flooding back to my mind. It was painful yet sweet.

"It's finding someone you can't live without right?" Ace whispered again, but there was something odd about his voice.

"I don't know," I replied honestly.

"You are a beautiful mystery, Katherine," he whispered and hung up the phone.

I wasn't sleepy anymore.

Only now, his words lingered in my room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAH! ANOTHER CHAPTER...

ANYWAYS , SCHOOL IS NOW STARTING SO I AM STICKING BACK TO MY OLD SCHEDULE OF UPDATING I.E.

1. TWO TIMES A WEEK (IF I AM LUCK) ONE ON A WEEKDAY AND ONE ON A WEEKEND.

OR 

2. ONCE A WEEK, ONLY ON A WEEKEND.

UNTIL THEN FELLAS.

ALSO IF YOU WANT TO SEND ME ANY COVERS OR BANNERS YOU CAN DO THAT HERE:

alliegraham@gmail.com