CHAPTER XXXIV

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"Seriously! This evening is getting more and more boring," I whined and sipped from the fluke of champagne offered to me by Victoria.

Veronica sipped the cold drink and muttered, "You see that is why I do not attend these galas..."

"Stop," I counter back, "At least you do not have to wear these high heels."

I look at her outfit. She is wearing a white blouse, a black coat and comfortable jeans. Pairing this with combat boots, I would die to be her right now. She left the home looking beautiful in her gown but in mid way, she changed her dress.

Now that is what I call unfair.

"You see those women there," Veronica inconspicuously points at the table where the 'wealthy-bitches' (her words not mine) who were giggling in a corner, in their best ball gowns. Some of them even glaring daggers at me and Jordan.

"Yeah?" I mutter.

"They are also after your Kingman," she smirks evilly, "You better do something with that Kendall of yours, Ace is like the new Gucci bag each and every woman wants to have,"

"Okay," I answer uneasily, "Why the sudden change of mood?"

"Oh no, I have been wondering how is it that they haven't attacked us yet..." she thought out loud, taking another drink from the waiter.

"Yeah, I have been thinking about that too," I answer confused. Honestly, I thought that they would bombard me with questions like- 'Who the hell are you!' or 'Yeah, I do not know any of your parents in businesses'

"Maybe it's because of that oldy who has his eyes on us from the moment we entered," She glances at someone behind us.

I turn around to see Richard standing there. He walks towards us when he has made an eye contact with me.

"I better go, there is the investor I have been talking about," Veronica mutters and struts towards the man who has entered the ball room, latest. Talking about this room, it has been decorated beautifully with the chandeliers all lighted up and the stairs draped with silk and satin clothes. It was too heavenly.

"Hello, Katherine," Richard greeted me warmly.

"Hi Mr. Kingman," I acknowledge him courteously.

"C'mon," he guffaws, "You call my wife Cassandra easily, then why Mr. Kingman me?"

I chuckle silently and say, "Well then, Richard. How are you?"

"Ah! What can I say..." he mutters dramatically, "I have made huge mistakes in my life, Katherine. But offering Ace to Kendall's father just to save my business was just disgusting,"

"You had to do that, Richard. To save your family and business," I try to console him, placing a hand on his arm.

"I suppose," he says and shakes his head, "But it's in the past now. I was here to tell you that Ace wanted to talk to you, on the terrace,"

"Er...really?" I ask him, looking around me- the dances have begun and Clarissa and Kendall are interacting animatedly with the guests but there is no sign of Ace.

"Yes," he says and touches my arm, "Remember, Katherine. Forgive him, he has been through a lot,"

"I know," I whisper and look back at Clarissa- she is talking with a huge smile on her face but behind them is hidden sorrow and pain. Of loosing a loved ones- only those who actually lose them know the real pain.

I look back at Richard, he is smiling at me tiredly, "You are indeed what Ace thinks of you- beautiful,"

I blush lightly at his words and thank him slowly. Then clutching the fluke of champagne in my hand, I make my way towards the terrace.