CHAPTER XII

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"Such a beautiful couple," two voices hushed.

I instantly sprang apart from Ace. Searching for the source of the voices, I saw an old man and woman smiling at us serenely. Though away from Ace, his hands hadn't left my arms and were still gripping me. I tried to wriggle free out of them but he held on firmly.

The old couple advanced towards us and greeted us warmly, "Good evening, such a beautiful one it is,"

Ace's uneven voice, because of ragged breathing, replied, "Sure, it is,"

The old lady's eyes twinkled as she said, "Such a beautiful evening for couples."

Some one tell this lady that I am not freaking with him!

And yet you were kissing him passionately, you moron.

Agh! Why the hell am I arguing with myself again!

"Indeed and you make a beautiful one," the old man mused.

I sighed and smiled weakly, hoping I hadn't been rude.

A comfortable silence dawned on them whereas I was mentally fighting a World War III. Kill em! Murder em! Then the old man suddenly said, "Pardon us for being so rude. I am Mr. Diaz and this is my wife Miranda,"

Ace shook his hand and replied with exemplary confidence, "Ace. Ace Kingman,"

For some reason as soon as he said Kingman, the couple was taken aback. The wife had a horrified look on her face whereas the old man was.... well he looked extremely disapproving for some reason.

I watched in confusion as they inched back and murmured, "Yes... You just remind us of our old days,"

Yes, man of course we do.

Then they went back as soon as they had come. I watched them strutting back weirdly and looked at Ace. There was something off about him, a stone cold look had cascaded on his face and he looked... years older. But it disappeared as soon as it had come and he turned to me with a humongous smile.

His lips were slightly pink, as if someone had bitten into it.

Oh wait! That's me.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK!

I remembered the kiss and inched back from him. He frowned and asked, "What's wrong?"

"We can't do this again," I muttered, looking anywhere but at him.

"You enjoyed it," he pointed out.

I countered back, in a weak voice, "No I didn't!"

"Oh yeah?" he asked giving the look, on which someone would think twice before lying, "This-"

"This was a mistake!" I shouted, mustering up some courage.

"Yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night," he replied with a sarcastic smile.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"That," he placed his hands on my arms, "means that Katherine, you sound if you are trying to convince yourself about this 'mistake', you liked it-"

"I didn't!"

"And you are not ready to admit that because you are afraid of accepting the truth!"

"Don't call me a coward," I snarled, "Don't call me that when it was you who abandoned me! You made me look like a slut! You who didn't even have the courage to determine your feeling and to accept them,"