CHAPTER XXIV

KATHERINE EVY JONES (3 days later)

"Hey?" I ask Kyle who is sitting in the back car seat quietly. 

"Mum?" he asks, keeping his eyes on me.

I shake my head and then revert back to my own thoughts. We are currently going to Kyle's Parent Teacher Meeting aka my my first meeting with his class teacher. This is so because, I am generally working on the Saturdays or I have some other work to do. 

Working with Ace has been great. Literally great. He regularly eats lunch with me and goes to the coffee with me. Sure I have been getting some obscene and outrageous stares from some of my woman colleagues, but they do get a little awkward. Also I thought Ace would be having like many office sex mates, but surprisingly (and thankfully) I have found none. 

He is also doing great with Kyle, they both are now like the inseparable brothers. Always playing and eating together etc. Richard and Cassandra also have been helping us immensely in this parenting, the right diet and things like that. 

And Cole is being Cole.

"Katherine?" Ace asks, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Yeah?" I ask glancing at him. Ace, has also changed incredibly. During the coffee dates (which are friendly) I have seen the change, he looks at me so sweetly, it is like almost with love. Now just the only thing I am scared about- future. He hasn't defined 'us', though his actions may somehow have- the regular catching glimpses of me, pecks on cheeks, at corner of my lips (I swear to God, I almost died at them) etc. has sent my brain in a frenzy.

"Katherine?" he chuckles and asks again.

"Are continuing that sentence?" I ask, raising my eyebrow.

"I have been, from the past five minutes...But, you aren't paying attention..."

I blush and murmur, "I am sorry, what were you asking?"

"Actually Kyle was asking something," he says glimpsing at Kyle. I look at Kyle, who is vigorously nodding.

"Mum, we are staying like this... like forever?"

Ah! Ace's eyes go up expectantly waiting for my answer.

I mutter unsurely, "I don't know sweetie, we can see..."

"but MOM!" Kyle complains, "That's the phrase elders use when they want to say no!"

"I don't want to say no!" I blurt out and instinctively glance at Ace, who is smiling, for once, like he is on the world.

"I don't want to..." I repeat, "But we will see, okay?"

Kyle pouts but nods his head, "Mum, when is Jordan coming back?"

"Your bestie?" Ace asks, arching his perfect eyebrow. 

I nod and reply to him first, "And maybe your ruin," Then to Kyle, "She is coming back tomorrow, Kyle. I am going to pick her up!"

Her fashion week got extended due to some reason, hence the stay back, not that she minded it anyways. Already talked to Ace about this, I felt relieved. No more drama. No more drama. At least I hope that happens.

"Are you sure that you are going to go alone to pick her up?"

"Yes, I am," I reply and scroll through the unread messages in my phone.

After reaching Kyle's school, we hurry to his classroom as Ace has a meeting today. On our way, all the eyes turn our way. They try to stop us but Ace's body guards fend them off.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Kingman!" Kyle's class teacher greets us.

"I am Miss Jones," I mutter awkwardly.

"Not for much long," Ace whispers in my ear. I throw a dirty look at him, as his class teacher, Mrs. Nina Montez, clears her throat. 

She talks about Kyle, his behaviour- exemplary, his grades- perfect, health profile- flawless. I feel like this is going to be a waste of time, SHE IS JUST MOTHERFUCKING REPEATING EVERYTHING THING I ALREADY KNOW!?

"Kyle, would you want to meet your classmates?" she finished and asked him. Kyle muttered a polite 'Excuse me' and then went away.

"Now," his CT turned towards us with a more firm and demanding demure.

We both look at her with uncertain expressions, as she takes in a deep breath, "Look, Mr. and Mrs King-" she stops, then continues amending, "Mrs. Jones, we need to discuss this for Kyle's future. Look, Kyle...er he has taken that you both would be living together, here after,"

We both open our mouth to say somethings but she doesn't give us a chance, "I speak and you both listen. But we all know, that this isn't decided yet. So, though this isn't my place to say anything, but being Kyle's CT and counsellor I would like to say that, decide this issue... so that it's easier, for everyone,"

I look at her with a defeated gaze. Yes, she is right. This question is bound to come sometime or the other.

Ace's mouth is clamped shut, as is even he's in a fix and does not know what to do now.

Without any further words, we leave the room to find Kyle. After having found him, I look at him carefully. He looks at both of us, as parents, as the normal connected parents. 

Ace calls another car to pick us up. He doesn't look at me when we wait, or when Kyle waves him goodbye. As I am getting in the car, he mutters firmly, "We are taking this decision, today at dinner,"

*** 

  We are taking this decision, today at dinner .

Yeah as if that is freaking easy. 

HOW CAN A PERSON TAKE A LIFE DECISION IN JUST ONE DAY!?

Sometimes Ace acts so..so... so... infuriating and insensitive!

*** 

"So..." I look at him, trying to ease the nervousness killing me right now.

"So, yeah. Do you want to continue... er... living this way?" Ace asks, his shoulders tense.

"You can't just ask me that so bluntly!"

"Then how do you want me to ask this?"

"I don't know... just look at all aspects... things like that..." I stammer.

He sighs, "Katherine, you gave me a chance to make things right. Can you give me this chance too?"

"To try being a family?"

"Yes," he answers, his food untouched.

"Ace, you know," BLURT IT OUT! "I like you, okay? Liked you the way I did five years ago. I...er of course do not love you, because of what you did," Real smooth Katherine, real smooth, "But, yes I trust you now. And as to giving us, as in us," I wave my hands between us, "being a family, I would-"

I am interrupted by the room door opening, to see Aphrodite standing there.

Kidding. 

It's a model.  

Not any model, remember the one on the magazine cover. The only almost naked one? Bed sheets? Yes, her. (IF CONFUSED, GO TO CHAPTER XVIII AND READ THE PART WHEN RICHARD, ACE'S DAD IS INTRODUCED)

She grins at Ace, "Darling, I am back!"

And I thought this only happens in movies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DUIDFAIEODRJDCNOEWEPPEWFJEFM.

HEYA PEOPLE!

HOWDY LIKING THIS CHAPTER.

LEMME BE KNOWING IN UR VOTES AND COMMENTS.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT.