épilogue

"Happy 5th anniversary, Lauren," Alessandra greets me.

Confused, I groggily open my eyes and squint at the sunlight seeping through the curtains. I turn around and find the love of my life beside me in bed, a huge smile on her face. I'm immediately woken up by the sight, but her words don't sink in yet.

"I... I thought you weren't coming home until tomorrow," I mumbled as I rub my eyes.

She laughs. "That's not how you greet your girlfriend on your anniversary. I moved my flight earlier, loser."

My eyes widen. "Oh! Happy anniversary, baby!" I engulf her in a hug. "I'm sorry. I didn't forget, I swear! I have a gift for you in—"

She cuts me off with a kiss. "I missed you," she says on my lips.

I kiss her back. "I missed you, too. Happy 5th anniversary, baby."

She rolls over on top of me, her elbows raising her up to keep her lips inches away from mine. "We made it, huh?"

"We did. I don't know how you managed to handle my annoying butt for the past 5 years, but I'm glad you did."

"I kind of maybe love you a bit, so that's probably why I'm still here. I don't know though, I'm not sure," she teases.

I giggle. "I love you. Thank you for moving your flight. I thought we'd be celebrating our 5th through FaceTime or something."

"You know I wouldn't allow that, Lauren."

I shake my head. "I'm so in love with you, it's crazy."

"Not tired of me yet?"

"Never."

She gives my lips a quick peck before she stands up. "I made breakfast. Get up, sleepyhead."

I lazily obey and follow her outside our room. The smell of delicious French toast and waffles fills the air.

I sit down across her on the dining table which contains two plates of breakfast. I dig in immediately.

"I don't know why, but there's something about your waffles that makes it taste better than any other waffle. It's weird because all waffles are pretty much the same, but... I don't know, I'm rambling. It's like 7 in the morning. I just—I love you," I say after I quickly gobble up the waffles on my plate.

She laughs. My favourite sound, I think to myself. "You're just biased because you love me."

I shrug. "I do love you very much, but I swear I'm telling you the truth."

"Lucky you, you're stuck with me and my amazing cooking."

"Lucky you, you're stuck with me and my amazing expertise in bed."

"Win-win, then," she laughed.

Then I hear the little sound of a ringing bell approaching.

Curious, I look around the kitchen. Then a moving little white figure catches my eye. A puppy?

It was a little Maltese with a collar with a bell and what looked like a piece of paper.

I squeal and run to the puppy. "You got a puppy?" I ask. "Oh my god! This is literally the cutest thing in the world." I scoop the pup up in my arms and run my hands through its incredibly white hair.

"I thought I was the cutest."

"I change my mind. This pup is the cutest," I joke.