vingt-sept

"Can't you just come home already?" I whine over FaceTime.

Logan just picked up little Ally a few hours ago, and now I'm alone in our room. I already booked a flight to surprise Alessandra, but the soonest flight available is still in two days, so I have to wait. This is killing me.

I got a surprise today though.

I received a bouquet of flowers this morning. It came with a handwritten note from Alessandra.

Have a nice day, Lauren. I hope you're well. I miss you.
—your favourite model

We're back, I thought to myself with a smile.

"One more week, Laur," the love of my life replies, interrupting my reminiscing.

Alessandra has her phone resting against the mirror on her vanity table, so my view is that of her putting on makeup. I'm just lying down on our bed.

"But that's so long," I complain. "That's 7 days. That's, like, a billion minutes without you."

She laughs. "You can wait, right?"

"For you, always," I admit with a sigh. "It's 4 in the afternoon. Where are you heading?"

"It's 11am here, ba—Lauren," she immediately corrects herself.

"Babe," I emphasize, wanting to let her know that she can call me that. I see the corner of her mouth turn up. "What're your plans today?"

"My manager booked a shoot for me after lunch afternoon, then I'm going clubbing with my childhood friends after."

"Take care and have fun, all right? Call me if you need anything. Anything at all."

"You're not going to ask me who I'm clubbing with?"

"No, why would I ask?" I ask, genuinely confused.

She smiles, bringing my attention to her gorgeous lips. "I love you."

And those three words were enough to make my night.

"I love you," I say back, completely forgetting the question she just asked.

"I'm going to go drinking, okay?" she reiterates.

I nod, confused as to why she seems to be asking permission. "Just always watch your drink. You have a ride home, right?"

She says yes.

"You know you don't even have to tell me if you're drinking, right?"

"I just... I don't know."

"I trust you. I'm sorry for before. I promise I'm working on it."

"I'm sorry for before, too. Just... don't shut me out like that again, please?"

"No more making out with exes?"

"These lips are all yours, I promise."

I wink. "Both of them."

Silenced and evidently frustrated, she runs her tongue across her lips, a sign that my teasing is working.

"Also, whatever lip kit you're using looks so good on you, babe," I genuinely compliment, quite off topic.

Her cheeks turn pinker. "I—yeah. Thank you. I—I just got it yesterday, actually. NYX was on sale and I—I'm blabbering, I'm sorry."

"Go on, babe. What else did you buy yesterday? I miss your voice." I ask.

"I just shopped a little bit," she answers shyly.

"And how much is 'a little bit'?" I mock.

She fights a smile. "I hate you."

"Almost a thousand dollars 'a bit'?"

She covers her face with her hands. "Stoppp," she says. "In my defense, Victoria's Secret was 40% off, too."

"Oh," is all I could say, thanks to my brain failing me.

She realizes her effect on me, and her demeanour changes instantly—her previous shyness is immediately replaced by confidence and seduction. How she does this remains a mystery to me.

She places her chin on her hand, as her elbow rests on the vanity table. "You still there, babe?"

Silenced, I just nod. It looks like the tables have turned.

"Want to see what I bought?" she asks.

"Not when you're a continent away."

"But I really want to show you the lingerie."

I unknowingly begin chewing on my lower lip.

Then my phone beeps.

Reminder: Comm. Law review in 15 minutes!!!

With an annoyed sigh, I tap Mark as Completed.

"You have to go?" Alessandra asks with a frown.

"Sorry for killing the mood, baby. I have review," I say as I sit up from the bed.

"Have fun, attorney."

I grin. "Yes ma'am. You take care, okay? I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you."

"Someone's extra sweet today."

"I just... I love you, okay? I hope you know that."

"I know. I love your whipped ass, too."

I laugh. "Text me when you're free?"

"Always free for you."

"I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Okay. Be safe, Laur."

"You, too. Please take care."

Before I step out of the door, my phone vibrates in my pocket.

Love 👅💕: New Photo Message
Love 👅💕: got these 40% off but you can get them 100% off

With a dry mouth, I opened the photo.

Thank you, Victoria's Secret.