trente-trois

"Lauren, we need to talk."

Worried, I sat down beside her, twisting my body so that I met her eyes. "What's wrong?"

We were sat at a bench in one of the city's more hidden parks, which was conveniently located near our place. She messaged me to meet her here, and I arrived as soon as I could after my classes ended.

"I... I'm kind of bothered with something," she began.

I frowned. "What is it?" I tried to move closer to her, but she raised her hand as if asking me to stop.

"I just... noticed that you still keep getting flirtatious messages and public tweets and stuff from other girls. I don't even know how they know your address and number, and I-I don't know. It's just been bothering me."

"Oh," I said. "You know that's beyond my control, right? And you know I've never responded to any of them."

She just shrugged. "Maybe you could at least change your number or something..."

"Babe, it's unprofessional to keep changing numbers. I already changed it last year, back when we started officially dating."

"Why do you still keep getting texts from girls, then?"

"I don't know. I don't give my number away unless it's for professional reasons. You know that."

Frustrated, her eyebrows stitch together. "It makes me uncomfortable."

"What do you want me to do?"

"I don't know! What do you think you should do?"

"Babe, come on..."

Then my phone dinged in my pocket.

"Show me your phone," she said.

I fished my phone out of my pocket. I didn't have anything to hide. "Here," I said as I handed it to her.

She looked at the lock screen. "Unknown number. Surely this isn't from some random chick," she said sarcastically. "Can I open it?" she asked.

I nodded.

She rolled her eyes after viewing the message. As she stood up, she handed me the phone. "Have fun with your nudes, babe."

Then she walked away.

On the screen was an unknown number and a photo of a topless classmate of mine. I've never even spoken to her. The obscene photo was the first ever message in our thread, followed by the message:

[Unknown number]: Got ur number fr a friend, thot u were hella cute 😏 hmu babe

I immediately delete the message and block the number.

Stuffing my phone in my back pocket, I ran after Alessandra who was already walking back to our place.

"Baby, wait," I said as I took her hand and spun her around.

Her face screamed annoyance and frustration, and I hated the thought that I was the reason behind it.

"That whore was from your class, Laur. Do they have no respect for the fact that you have a girlfriend? Do they even know you're taken? Or do you hide me when I'm away?"

I held both her hands and interlocked them despite her trying to pull away. "Baby, I swerve girls everyday for you. You're the only person I have my eyes on, okay?" I said, my eyes begging for her to believe what I was saying.