Two

Quick update because I am excited about this story, Enjoy

“There are more than one ways to find your man girls,” began Madame. The sun was up and the water was calm as we floated with our upper body above. “There also some things you need to be noted, of course he must either be a-”

And there are more than one ways to tune out of her talking about finding a man. Everyone makes it seem like something we had to do, meet him, mate with him, kill him, and let our daughters grow up. Taking a life was so simple to them, the sight of blood made them crazy but it stirred something inside of me that made some weird feeling rise up my throat making me cough. The idea was disgusting.

“Thelea! Are you listening?”

My head snapped up as my tail swishes beneath me.

“Yes?” I said hesitantly. I had never been a good liar, Sirens were meant to be amazing, flawless, not being able to tell the difference between their lies and truth, it was what made us such alluring. We were the art of trickery.

“Name two ways of killing him then?”

I could feel everyone’s crystal eyes on me as some of the younger sirens snickered at me. I hung my head in shame.

“I don’t know madame,” I said. She scowled at me.

“Of course she wouldn’t, when her mother couldn’t why would she?”

My head snapped up and my teeth barred as I leap at her, the devil taking over as I shrieked.

Claudia, I hated her so much. She thought she was perfect, she sort of was. She was beautiful, she sung amazingly, and she was perfect in every way but not as perfect as my mother. And no one could be as perfect as her.

I could tolerate anyone commenting about me but not my mother!

“Thelea!” a rough hand pulled me back. When a siren was angry her teeth sharpened and she would look like some devil taking over, her eyes red, her teeth barred, her hair a mess and her face an ugly thing you have seen. By the look on Claudia’s face, I was exactly that.

I returned to my normal self hiding my face as Madame released her fierce drip on me.

“That was disgraceful Thelea I want you to-”

I turned my head and ducked under the water only to see their perfect tails swishing and flicking in unison. Closing my eyes I turned away. I could feel even the waves moving apart as I swam fast, my tail swishing at an incredible speed behind me.

One day, one day I will prove to them I am the perfect Siren. Till then I had to somehow find a way to become one. I slowed down as I saw the familiar coral of my home.

"Mother?" I called as I slide through. It was empty.

I swam back out and up to the air, the salty air greeting me was bitter today.

"Mother?" I called out. She couldn't be that far.

I swam towards out normal cliff spot looking around for her. The sky was bright and the ocean was relatively calm which meant spotting everything was easy. Where could she have possibly gone?

I hadn't realized how fast I was swimming till I approached the cliif too fast and was unable to turn around in time. I had managed to turn half my body around but the waves that were pushing against the cliff had held onto my tail making my body scratch against it.

The shriek that left my lips was unholy as it pierced the howls of the wind. My body reacted immediately distancing myself from the horrid rough edges as I stared at the cliff. The pain was gradual but it soon took my entire tail. I swam in pain to a softer landing in the water hoisting myself up.