Chapter |26|

Note: All this who are interested in the Imagine Thing, kindly read the author's note at the end!

Chapter |26|

It's really weird what thinking can do. Especially when you're alone.

One moment, you could be thinking about how you wished something happened and the next moment you might be reliving a memory.

I don't know what made me come here. The place that haunts me in my dreams and is the reason why my life is like the way it is. But maybe it was because mom's death anniversary was approaching and I could do nothing but be bitter about it.

It may sound a bit dramatic but I can't help but blame the place and myself. I guess that's what happens when you don't have anyone else to blame.

Sitting about twenty feet away, I stared at the blue water that moved languidly, enjoying the calmness since no one was here to disturb it.

The wind caressed my face, pricking my eyes to let the tears fall but I didn't budge. I stared back at the water with a venomous glare as if it could apologise.

"Hey," a voice startled me, making me jump with the sudden interruption.

I looked up to see Daniel standing there with his hands tucked into his pockets. Only half of his face was visible since the moon was on his left, illuminating only that part of his face.

"How'd you find me?" I asked as I watched him settle beside me.

"You seemed a bit restless at home. I figured there was something troubling you so you'd want to be somewhere alone and quiet. I checked the observatory but you weren't there so I checked all the places I could think of," he shrugged, looking ahead.

I looked at him wide eyed. "You were looking for me? Why?"

"Had nothing better to do," he replied, but even I could tell that he was lying.

I didn't prod, though. His company wasn't bad and I'd started enjoying it too. Maybe a bit more than what was required but hey, no one knew that.

We both say in silence, with me staring at the sky and Daniel throwing rocks in the lake.

"So gonna tell me what's been bothering you?" He asked after a couple of moments.

"My mom's death anniversary is coming. I usually get a bit emotional a few days prior to it," I said as I kept staring at the sky.

I felt Daniel's gaze on my face, as if examining it for some clues. Clues to what? I didn't know.

A few seconds later, I felt a hand on my head, my attention snapped towards Daniel, who immediately pulled of my wig, letting my brown hair bounce down. Next he removed my glasses.

"Wha-?"

"Shhh," he placed his hand over my mouth. "I think your mom needs Skylar more than Penny."

He removed his hand and lied down on the grass. My mouth parted in surprise but I mimicked his position, keeping my wig and glasses aside.

I stared at the black blanket engulfing the stars. I stared as it wandered into oblivion, making everyone question the unanswered.

"I'm scared," I spoke, my voice barely reaching anywhere but Daniel seemed to have heard it.

He turned to me, his body along with his face. "Of what?"

"I don't know. Of life? I'm scared because I don't know if I will ever be truly happy. If I will be able to smile without anyone forcing it into a frown," I said and then turned myself towards him," and mostly if I will ever be able to live."