Chapter 20

Chapter 20- Edward’s POV

I quickly turned away from Ella so that she would not be able to see the sad expression in my eyes. I walked to the window, my favourite place to be when I’m trying to think. I heard Ella jumping off the desk and following me.

“Sir?” she asked anxiously.

“Yeah?” I managed to croak out. I didn’t face her, I couldn’t. Not when she’s calling me “sir”, as if pinpointing and making it obvious that this shouldn’t have happened.

“What just happened?”

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled.

She moved closer to me, so close that I could feel her breath. “There’s nothing to be sorry for. I’ve been wanting you to do that ever since I first met you.”

Hearing her say that made me feel so happy inside, but I knew that what she was saying was pointless. I’m her teacher, it’s wrong on so many levels. And that’s not just it. There were so many reasons why we couldn’t be together. “I’m sorry, it was a mistake. I got carried away and I shouldn’t have.”

“Like I said, I don’t mind,” she replied, moving closer to me so she could see my face. I looked down, feeling sad. “What’s wrong?” she asked. “Are you still seeing Beth?”

Shit, Beth. I’d totally forgotten about her. We hadn’t spoken in weeks, almost a month. Does this mean that we are over, or that I’m cheating on her? Ugh, I’m confused.

 I shook my head as Ella continued trying to find a reason behind my sudden change of mood. “Or did you kiss me just because I was standing too close, not because you truly like me?”

I shook my head once again and turned to her. “I like you, Ella, I always have,” I admitted.

“Then what?”

“I’m your teacher, for heaven’s sake. Teachers don’t kiss their students.”

“But you won’t be my teacher forever.”

I shrugged. “It’s still risky. And anyway, I’m still too old for you.”

“No you’re not.” She put her hands on my shoulders and tiptoed so she could reach up to me, and kissed me. I didn’t stop her, and we kissed slowly for a few seconds before I eventually pulled away.

 “You’re underage,” I said.

“I’m 17, I’ll be an adult in a couple of weeks,” she complained.

I shook my head. “It doesn’t matter, I’m still too old. Besides being your teacher, and other stuff which you, um, don’t know about.”

“You’re not old,” Ella said, touching my face once again. I grabbed her hand, putting it away from my face, but I still held on to it. I turned my head to look at the door, confirming that it is still closed. Thankfully, it was. Thank goodness she had closed it when she’d entered the classroom.

Why had she closed the door? Had she planned on all of this?

“How old do you think I am?” I asked her, still gripping her left hand.

“23, 24… I don’t know,” she said. It didn’t look like it was a big deal to her. But it was… and she had guessed wrong.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. “No Ella, I’m not.” She looked curious as I opened my eyes and sighed. “Ella… I can’t believe you didn’t know. I’m 28 years old, 29 in a couple of months…”