Chapter Fifty Three - Someday All Will be Better

KATIE'S POV

   I'm not running away and I didn't have any plan on going anywhere. After snapping at Dominick, I really needed to take a breather. Originally, I was going to walk around the block and be back in home, in my room, before Dominick finished bathing Mollie. My parents weren't going to come and check on; and even if they did I left a note saying where I was going. I also mentioned in the note that I had my phone on me.

   I ended up walking farther than the end of the block; and I kept on walking. As long as I knew where I was and how to get back home, I planned to keep walking. Part of me hoped that after walking for a while, everything would be become clear to me and I'd have everything fully processed by the time I got home. However, after twenty minutes of walking and reaching the end of the neighborhood, it became clear that a walk wasn't going to be the magically antidote.

  Any sensible thirteen year old girl would head back home, or perhaps not go out after dark at all, and not risk being kidnapped. However, my mind isn't exactly thinking clearly and I chose another option. I pulled out my phone and dialed the only number I could think of. Took a few times of calling but they picked up the phone. One minute into the conversation and they were headed to their car to pick me up.

"You need to go home Katie, you can't stay away forever." Linkon says. He gently drums his fingers on the steering wheel. For the past ten minutes, we've been parked in the parking lot of a Big Bob's Burgerhouse. We've each enjoyed a medium order of French-fries and argued over me not wanting to go home.

"I'll have you take me back in a bit." I say. "What happened to K-Tie?" I asked trying to divert the conversation.

"You said 'in a bit' fifteen minutes ago as well as an thirty-five minutes before that." Link says, my attempt failed. "Whether you want to or not, in ten minutes I'm taking you home."

   I let out a sigh and turn my head to look out the window. "Katie, did you think I wouldn't insist on taking you home?" When I don't respond Linkon lets out a sigh. "You really don't want to go back? What happened?" He asks.

"I just found out something I wish wasn't true." I answer.

"Care to share?" Linkon asks.

I shake my head.

"Sometimes the truth tears us apart more than the lies." Linkon says.

You hit the nail right on the head. For a couple minutes, the only sound in the car is from Linkon drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. "I'm gonna take a moment to stretch my legs, you stay here." He says breaking the silence before opening his car door.

"Alright." I reply.

  Linkon sticks his head back in the car for a moment, "Katie," he says. I turn away from the window to face him. "I want you to know that whatever you found will be something you'll be grateful to know, maybe not today or tomorrow but someday."

"I know." I say. I hope. I truly mean.

"Well, my legs aren't gonna stretch themselves, be back in a couple minutes. I'll lock the doors and call me if you need anything, alright?

  I nod my head. Linkon shuts his car door and I hear the sound of the car doors locking. I lean my seat back and close my eyes. I hope you're right.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   My eyes snap open to the sound of a car door slamming and a raised voice. My head shoots up to look out the window; but I move bit too fast and for a few seconds am hit with dizziness. I look around a few times to try to locate where the noise came from.