Second Argument

After she finished feeding the boys, she directed them to do their homework before going back downstairs to talk with her husband.

Nodding toward Arnoldo, Scarlett said, "Give us a few minutes, we'll be right back," as she dragged her husband toward the backyard door.

Arnoldo could sense the amount of respect Scarlett had for her husband, and again he found himself wondering where Tristian had found her.

Tristian braced himself for the upcoming conversation with his wife. "Where is your phone?" she asked, looking at him with a sigh.

Tristian checked his pockets, but there was no phone in any of them. He must have left it in his office. Scarlett sighed softly. When did her husband become so careless?

"Tris, where were you? Why were you not answering my calls?" she asked, frustration slipping into her tone.

"I was at the office, but something came up and I left," he said with his head bowed.

"What came up?" Scarlett asked with furrowed brows. Tristian pursed his lips, his heart beating wildly in his ears. He was afraid of telling her the truth.

"I'm listening. What was the emergency?" Scarlett asked again, this time her voice sounding like ice.

"Lysanderia was kidnapped with her daughters. I couldn't turn a blind eye to them," he responded, shifting from one foot to the other, feeling uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, Scarlett couldn't believe what she was hearing. She was disappointed. He could have easily sent his men, who were more capable than any military force, and he couldn't even call her before leaving.

"How interesting. Tristian, we are your family. If anything comes up, you are supposed to inform us first. You are aware of the dangers lurking around us, yet you couldn't even remember us in such a delicate situation. What would have become of me if the boys were kidnapped or hurt under my care? What would have happened?" Scarlett's chest was in pain with each word she spoke.

"Scarlett, she is pregnant, and her children are too young to witness such cruelty," Tristian spoke. His wife blinked rapidly at him. Someone should please tell her that her man didn't just speak those words.

"She can not defend herself. She knows nothing about guns or combat. I had no choice," he tried reasoning again.

Scarlett laughed in disbelief. "I am disappointed in you," was the only word she left with him before walking away. If Lysanderia is pregnant, so was she, or was she not?

Scarlett's disappointment in her husband was on a higher level, and staying there any longer would just lead her to say something that she would not be able to take back.

She loves Tristian so much that with every step she takes, she always makes sure he is aware of it, but it seems like that isn't enough, or perhaps he still harbors a special place in his heart for his ex-wife. She was hurt by what Tristian said. The irony is that her husband didn't panic or get angry that she fought those men while pregnant.

Any normal husband would have been scolding his wife and getting angry that she got hurt while pregnant.

Tristian looked at his beloved wife's disappearing figure, his lips set in thin lines, his chest tightening in dread and pain. Something told him that his wife was darn angry, and an angry pregnant Scarlett was not something he could handle.

He understood that this was entirely his fault. She got hurt because of his carelessness. His wife and two kids almost got shot, and he was busy saving his ex-wife while his family was in the midst of danger.

He had failed her and his kids, including the unborn ones. He has to investigate this thoroughly. He owes her that at least. Tristian walked back into the living room with a blank face.