Chapter Seventeen

YOU KNOW, I might have lost the love of my life to some stupid argument, but this? This was enough healing for me.

A bodyguard approached me as regards Nathan Eiser's command and I slowly took a couple steps forward to meet him. Just before I could push through the ladies in front of me, the girl by my North-West who wore a purple spaghetti blouse happily rushed into the bodyguard's arms and he led her up the stage amidst the loud cheers from the audience. I paused and stared blankly, watching as the girl walked on stage all giddy.

Wait. I thought...

I looked up at Nathan Eiser. Seeing that I caught him staring, he turned away from my gaze to watch as the other lady approached him instead. She joyfully ran into his arms and he smiled at her.

Oh. I should have known. I should have known that it could never be me. Life would never grant me something as beautiful as this.

I slowly stepped back to the fifth row.

"You thought he was calling out to you, didn't you?" The young lady to my left whose mouth reeked of alcohol said as I stood beside her, "I thought so too."

The dark-skinned lady behind us sneaked her head into the conversation, "Same here. You know what I feel? I feel that chick on stage right now only used the opportunity that she's also wearing purple to get picked. Some girls are that crazy, you know?"

The memory of Nathan Eiser looking away from me on seeing the other lady replayed in my head. Realising that it should have been me on stage but he happily accepted my replacement was even worse. I'd rather it be a mistake on my part than that.

I shook my head, "It wasn't me. He didn't call for me."

I looked at the stage, watching as Nathan Eiser and the lady sang together with the audience joining along. I was so stupid to believe that someone like him could have an interest in me.

"Right?"

I turned around and pushed my way through the crowd, heading out of the arena. It was so embarrassing, seeing as I got so excited over nothing. It was like getting so hyped about a surprise party on your birthday, only to find out that it's not yours but for another kid down the street who shares your birthday. That kind of embarrassing.

The sky had darkened outside, since it was half past ten, and I walked down the free road with high hopes that I would find a cab soon. I peered at my phone screen; Annabelle had called me twice even as she was the one who dropped me off at the arena but there was not a single call from Thomas since last night.

I pursed my lips. Why was I still thinking about him? I thought I had agreed to let go of him for a little while. But let's be frank, it wasn't so easy to do that. It wasn't easy to just suddenly let go of the person you've held on to for six years and counting.

I scrolled through my contacts and clicked on the call button beside Thomas's name. The call rang only once before it went straight to voicemail. I breathed out a laugh. He had blocked my contact; he had meant it when he said he was done with me.

I scrolled over to Annabelle's contact and dialled it. If she was done with the wedding preparations, maybe she could come pick me up. I had been walking for about five minutes and not even a bicycle had ridden past me. Maybe everyone had gone to Nathan's concert.

A vehicle suddenly pulled beside me and horned, drawing my attention to it.

Thomas?

I swiftly turned to my right to fish out who was in the vehicle.

"Hello, Wendy Davis," Devin said as he rolled down the windows.

I stepped back, placing my phone into my purse, "What are you doing here? Why are you calling my name?"