Chapter Sixteen

"THE CODE!" I YELLED as I sat up on the bed.

Scarlett looked at me from the couch and paused what she was doing— lacing her boots.

"What code?" She inquired.

I rubbed my temples, "I can't... remember..."

I stopped talking and stared around my apartment, gradually coming to my senses. The sky was a little dark and the sun wasn't out yet.

"It was probably a dream," Scarlett said, "There's no code here."

I exhaled and nodded. Yeah, it was a dream.

I could hear the pattering sound of rushing water coming in from the bathroom, just as Nathan's song oozed from my little speaker.

"What are you doing here?" I softly asked, "And who's in the bathroom?"

"You don't remember anything from last night?" Scarlett widened her eyes.

I groaned and fell back on the bed. I had wished so hard for all that happened the previous night to also be a dream but it wasn't. Thomas had truly broken up with me.

"I'm sorry for reminding you about that," she said.

I raised my right arm in the air as I lay down, tracing my fingers over my peeled skin. I thinned my lips. Here I was with damaged skin, yet there was something else that damaged me even more.

"Are you okay?" Scarlett asked, still looking at me.

"No," I replied and dropped my arm, "No, I'm not."

"There's some left-over spaghetti if you want."

"I'm not hungry."

"But you didn't eat last night and you missed your medication."

"I'll be fine," I said, rolling over to place my face on the pillow.

I heard the bathroom door open and I raised my head to stare at Annabelle as she stepped out of the shower with a towel around her chest.

"Our sleeping beauty's up?" She smiled at me.

Her skin looked so nice.

"My skin's peeling," I said.

"I know. We applied some ointment on you, since you already dozed off before we could bathe you in icy water, " Annabelle said.

"Oh."

"That lady was sick to dunk hot stuff on you. She should be in jail right now!" Scarlett yelled.

"I have other things to worry about than that," I said, "Will you two help me talk to Thomas?"

The two ladies looked at themselves, then back at me.

"No," they said in unison.

I sat up on the bed, "Please, I beg you."

"I already said no, Wendy. Leave him alone," Annabelle said at once.

I couldn't. If I let go of him, there would be no use winning anymore. It felt so surreal living without him, I had been with him for so long that I had forgotten how to trail through life by myself. I needed him.

I groaned.

"I heated the spaghetti already," Scarlett mentioned.

"And we need to see you eat it all before we leave," Annabelle added, "You can't start passing out again."

"Where are you girls going?" I asked.

"To set up the last few things for the wedding tomorrow," Scarlett said as she got up and walked into the kitchen.