Chapter Seven

"HI, I'M CLARA," she dashed towards the main counter to stand before Adrian, slightly pushing me away, "Nice to meet you."

"Same," he stared into her eyes, smiling.

Don't tell me...

I stared at both of them as they smiled sheepishly at each other.

Was he already mesmerised by her too?

Clara turned to me with a wide grin on her face and I had no other choice but to force on a smile. She hadn't even asked me how I was faring after she saw me pass out yesterday.

Maybe she forgot?

"Ah, Everhart! You've met your coworkers already?" Mr. Lenin asked Adrian on stepping out of his office, "Then, I'm afraid there's no use of a meeting anymore."

"Yes!" I heard Clara celebrate under her breath.

"I guess so," Adrian chuckled at Clara's mini jubilation.

"How do you find this place?" Mr. Lenin inquired, "Welcoming?"

"Yes," Adrian put on a mischievous smile, "And I think it's going to get real interesting soon."

Mr. Lenin turned to Clara and me, "The both of you should show him around and put him through with the tasks, alright?"

"Yes," Clara and I replied in unison.

Clara turned back to Adrian the moment Mr. Lenin walked off, pulling him to join us behind the counter, "So tell me, Adrian, which college do you attend? Boxton? Please tell me Boxton. I'd love to cross paths with you there."

She and Adrian were a clean distance away from where I was, so I couldn't join in on their discussion. Instead, I backed them, staring at the young man and the floral dress lady as they chatted at the round table. They were already done with their food and were gathering their things to leave the cafe.

"Oh, I'm not going to college," I overheard Adrian reply to her, "I dropped out."

I couldn't blame him. If I had the chance, I would have done the same thing but I needed to be a certified fashion designer to achieve my goal.

"How old are you?" Clara inquired.

"I'm twenty," Adrian answered.

My age.

"Aww, you're older than me," Clara said in a babyish voice, "I'm just eighteen years old. Quite little, right?"

"If you're speaking of 'little', then you should speak of the young lady over there."

I pursed my lips. I knew he was talking about me.

Clara's giggles filled the cafe and rang in my ears. Sometimes, I wished there was a remote control for her voice, so I could continuously press mute until the button glitched and caused her voice to vanish forever.

"Oh, stop," Clara said, laughing, "She's not that little."

"Wendy," she called out to me.

I turned around and rested my waistline on the edge of the counter, "What is it?"

"Did you hear what Adrian just said?" She asked, placing her hand on Adrian's shoulder.

I shifted my gaze to Adrian and he looked away.

"Yeah, I heard him," I walked towards the backroom, "Loud and clear."

I shut the door behind me and walked into the private room, settling down on one of the chairs. Clara seemed so excited about the new worker while I was only glad that he was going to relieve some of my stress. I mean, what else?