Chapter 6: Consequences

Waiting feels like forever especially when you know you're in huge trouble.

A few minutes pass and I finally hear the door click and him taking a seat on the bed, "Stand in front of me." he says.

I hesitated for a few seconds then stood in front of him, looking down and staring at the floor as if there were gold coins. I caught a glimpse of the cane he was holding, my heart beat faster.

"Hold your right palm up."

The calmness mixed with the authority in his voice makes me shiver. I knew I messed up. For the second time, I paused.

"Phoenix," he warned.

Reluctantly, I held my palm up.

"Look at me," he says. I obeyed, looking into his eyes. "Don't drop your hand. Every time you drop it, I'll add another five. Understand?"

I nodded. Not a moment later, I saw and heard the cane swish in the air before feeling the sting on my palm. I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping it would relinquish the pain I was feeling. Another three went by in quick succession and I hissed.

"Enlighten me as to what you did wrong," he says, resting the tip of the cane on the palm of my hand.

"I stole a dress you told me not to get."

A moment of silence went by, "What else?"

"I don't know."

"What about hiding it? Withholding something you know you did wrong." The cane swishes in the air and strikes my palm with such force I immediately cry out. "How long were you planning on keeping it from me? Did you think I would never find out?" Another stroke harder than the last.

"I'm sorry!"

"Sorry for what you did or sorry only because you got caught?" My palm stung as the strikes got harder and more relentless. My cries turned to uncontrollable sobs and I found it hard to answer his questions. I felt three more strikes before he stopped.

"We're not done," he says, making me cry harder.

"Please," I begged through my tears. I didn't want anymore.

"No. You chose your actions, you can endure the consequences," he replied. He guided me and bent me over the edge of the bed in a way that I would receive and feel every stroke to the full extent.

He bares my bottom and I feel the cane tap against me a few times. "Count them," he says. The first stroke fell and I could feel the strength behind it.

"One." I counted, breathing hard.

Not even a second after I counted, the second stroke fell. My hands gripped the bedsheets and my legs kicked the ground.

"T-two."

I received twenty strokes. By the tenth, I was sure he couldn't hear a word I was saying. My apologies probably didn't even make any sense. I was a blubbering mess. My tears soaked the bed and I didn't bother getting up.

I felt the bed dipped down beside me and his hands rubbed my back. "We're done. Breathe, love," he says so gently as if he were talking to a child.

What was he saying? Right, breathe. I took deep breaths in an attempt to calm myself down. When I was calmed enough, he took me in his arms and pulled me to his chest.

His hands caressed the back of my head. My hands gripped his shirt like I didn't want to let go of him forever. Tears were still falling even though I had calmed down my breathing. My voice was hoarse from all that crying.

"I–"

I still couldn't form an entire sentence.

"Shh, I know. It's all forgiven I promise. You're okay. You took that so well, princess."

I buried my face deeper into his chest. I closed my eyes, his voice in the background reassuring me. All the screaming and crying had worn me off. Before I knew it, darkness took over me.

Authors Note:
Was he too harsh or should he have gone harder on her?

Any ideas for the next chapter?