Chapter 5: An Act Of Indulgence

Saturday mornings were reserved for leisurely outings. On this particular morning, we decided to go shopping for new clothes. As we strolled through the bustling mall, I couldn't help but be drawn to a store displaying a vibrant collection of dresses, including one I had been eyeing for weeks.

"Elijah, look at this dress! It's gorgeous, don't you think?" I gushed, my eyes gleaming with excitement.

He examined the dress, a sleek, crimson number with intricate lacework. "It's beautiful, Nix, but remember, we agreed on a budget for this shopping trip. Let's not go overboard."

I nodded as my enthusiasm momentarily dampened. I reluctantly placed the dress back on the rack. But as I continued browsing, my desire for that crimson dress lingered, gnawing at me.

When Elijah was momentarily occupied in the men's section, I seized the opportunity. I quickly slipped the dress into my purse, trying to convince myself that it was just a small luxury and that I could hide it without him ever finding out.

We left the store, bags in hand, and returned home. My heart raced as she carefully concealed the crimson dress at the bottom of my closet, beneath a pile of other clothes. I couldn't shake the guilt that had settled in my chest.

Days turned into weeks, and I wore my dress sparingly, always ensuring it was tucked away before Elijah returned home. I told myself that if I could keep the secret forever, it was just a harmless act of indulgence.

We were getting ready to go out for dinner tonight and I couldn't find my favourite pair of shoes.

"Elijah, have you seen my black heels?" I asked, my voice quivering with worry.

He furrowed his brows, a curious expression on his face. "No, I haven't. Aren't they in your closet?"

My heart raced as I rushed to my closet and began rummaging through my shoes. Elijah followed me and helped me in my search.

He paused for a second, pulling out the very dress I stole weeks ago, the dress he had specifically said no to. His face turned from surprise to anger. His disappointment was palpable.

"You bought the dress I told you not to get?"

"I didn't buy it," I replied.

"You didn't buy it? Then what is it doing in your closet?"

"I stole it," I whispered, looking down.

"You what? I didn't catch that."

"I'm sorry, Elijah."

"No, I want you to say it to me. Loud and clear. You what?" His voice was stern and unwavering.

"I stole it."

I heard him take several deep breaths before saying, "Dinner plans are cancelled. Go stand in a corner and wait for me."

He left the room and I obeyed, standing in a corner so as to not aggravate his anger more.