Selection and Plans.

A few moments later, 

"Well well well, if it isn't our dear Harry Potter." Percy mocked him as he entered, one of his arms resting on a glass display case while the other was wrapped around Victor Krum's shoulders, who surprisingly enough, did not look uncomfortable with it. Fleur Delacour looked around when Harry walked in and threw back her sheet of long, silvery hair. 

"What is it?" she said. "Do they want us back in ze Hall?" She thought he had come to deliver a message. 

"He's not here to tell us something, Fleur." Percy shook his head. Fleur opened her mouth to ask but was interrupted by the appearance of Ludo Bagman, who grabbed Harry's arm and led him forward.  

"Extraordinary!" he muttered, squeezing Harry's arm. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentlemen, lady," he added, approaching the fireside and addressing the other three. "May I introduce, as incredible though it may seem, the fourth Triwizard champion?"

"I told you so." Percy looked in Krum's direction. Krum's gaze darkened as he surveyed Harry. Fleur, however, frowned in obvious confusion.  

"But evidently zair has been a mistake," she said contemptuously to Bagman. " He cannot compete. He is too young."

"The Goblet picked him, end of the story." Percy shrugged, and Harry stared at him. "Besides, if he dies, it only makes it better for me."  

"Well . . . it is amazing," said Bagman, rubbing his smooth chin and smiling down at Harry. "But, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as his name's come out of the goblet . . . I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage. It's down in the rules, you're obliged. Harry will just have to do the best he —" 

The door behind them opened again, and a large group of people came in: Professor Dumbledore, followed closely by Mr. Crouch, Professor Karkaroff, Madame Maxime, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Snape. Harry heard the buzzing of the hundreds of students on the other side of the wall before Professor McGonagall closed the door. 

"Madame Maxime!" said Fleur at once, striding over to her headmistress. "Zey are saying that this little boy is to compete also!" Harry glared at her out of the corner of his eye for that comment.  

"What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" she said imperiously. 

"I'd rather like to know that myself, Dumbledore," said Professor Karkaroff. He was wearing a steely smile, and his blue eyes were like chips of ice. "Two Hogwarts champions? I don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed two champions — or have I not read the rules carefully?" He gave a short and nasty laugh. 

"C'est impossible," said Madame Maxime, whose enormous hand with its many superb opals was resting upon Fleur's shoulder. "' Hogwarts cannot 'ave two champions. It is most unjust." 

"We were under the impression that your Age Line would keep out younger contestants, Dumbledore," said Karkaroff, his steely smile still in place, though his eyes were colder than ever. "Otherwise, we would, of course, have brought along a wider selection of candidates from our own schools."  

"It's no one's fault but Potter's, Karkaroff," said Snape softly. His black eyes were alight with malice. "Don't go blaming Dumbledore for Potter's determination to break rules. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here —" 

"Thank you, Severus," said Dumbledore firmly, and Snape went quiet, though his eyes still glinted malevolently through his curtain of greasy black hair. Dumbledore was now looking down at Harry, who looked right back at him, trying to discern the expression of the eyes behind the half-moon spectacles.