Chapter 10

"Party tomorrow off campus. Computer Science majors only," Mindy said as she handed a slip to a passing student. The girls had spent a good chunk of their week passing out flyers for the upcoming party and word was spreading like wildfire. Charlotte had excitedly volunteered to help them out and even managed to enlist others as well.

"How many people do you think will show up to this?" Lexi said as she handed a flyer to a student passing by the Computer Science building. The clear sky called many outside to bask in the sunshine.

"Honestly, I have no clue. Hopefully everyone!"

"Yeah, I feel like we've passed out a lot already. If we get even thirty people, that would be a good start. Anyways, you ready to head to class?" Lexi asked trying to hide any visible signs of the turmoil she was experiencing. Class with Professor Miller was next up on the agenda. While she didn't totally believe the threats he made earlier that week, there was still the unknown of how he would actually treat her. She hated to admit it, but a part of her was itching to find out.

"It's still early. We have fifteen minutes!" Mindy said as she tucked the remaining flyers into her purse.

"Yeah, but I like to get there early."

"Mhmm and this wouldn't have anything to do with wanting to see a certain someone a little earlier?" Mindy crossed her arms while tilting her head with a smirk.

"No! Just, shush. Let's go." Lexi laughed and the girls made their way into the building. The closer they got to the door, the more Lexi's pulse sped up. When they walked through the doorway, they found the classroom void of any other people, forcing a sinking feeling in the pit of Lexi's stomach.

"See, I told you this was way too early," Mindy said as she led the way to seats in the middle area.

After about five minutes students began filling the space, and Tom made his way in as well. When Lexi's eyes met his, a zap of electricity sped through her. She smiled and she could see a semblance of a smile on him before he turned his attention back to where he was walking. His white button-down shirt and navy blue slacks were similar to what he wore to the Dean's dinner, but it seemed like something about him had changed. His movements seemed smoother compared to the first day of class. Lexi took in everything she could about him, from the small, miniscule shifts to the nearly inaudible sounds.

After the space filled up, Tom gave out a warm smile to no one in particular and spoke, "Good morning, class!" Lexi smiled in return and prayed that things would just be as normal as possible between them. He hadn't looked at her again since he walked in, and she wondered if he already forgot she was there.

"So, I trust you all have done your homework. I thought it would be a fun start if we had one or two people come up and share what they wrote about. Do we have any volunteers?"

Charlotte's hand shot up and a couple of other students timidly raised their hands. Tom scanned the classroom and as soon as his gaze landed on Lexi her heart sank. She knew exactly what a look like that meant. "Ms. Foster. How about you kick us off?"

As if she had yelled aloud, the whole class' attention shot to her and pink swept her cheeks. "Um, I, what?"

"I'd like for you to come up and share with the class what you wrote for your phishing attack assignment," Tom said as he leaned against the desk that was behind him. He kept his tone and expression even, letting up no information as to what he was planning.

"I, um, I didn't raise my hand though." She shifted in her seat hoping the ground would open up and swallow her whole.

"I know. I just want to hear from a couple of students. So, you're up! Come on up!" He smiled and went to sit in the first row of chairs behind the first long wooden desk, waiting for his instructions to be followed.