Chapter 7

"I could've sworn I saw her come in here," Jason said to Scarlett as they made their way inside.

Oh God, of course, it's them. If she were with anyone else, Lexi wouldn't have cared to open the closet door. Yet, because she was with Tom Miller, the man that looked nearly identical to one of their past targets, she couldn't risk messing things up for her family by being taken off the case.

"That bed looks cozy. What do you say we do a quickie before we go back out there?" Jason said seductively to his wife.

Lexi gasped and Tom shifted to clamp a hand gently over her mouth. "Shhh. Don't make any sounds," he whispered. His warm breath hit her ear forcing the short hairs on the back of her neck to stand up. With her back now flush against his chest, the butterflies in her stomach were on a rampage.

Scarlett giggled. "Jason, you naughty boy! We're not kids anymore."

"But you look so sexy in that dress," Jason said. Kissing sounds traveled through the closet door and landed on Lexi's ears. She was trying hard not to start dry heaving and quickly covered the sides of her face to block out the noises. God, please let this not be happening.

Tom turned her around to face him and gave her a quizzical look, illuminated by the dim lighting filtering through the slats. He lifted a finger to indicate she needed to stay quiet. Their eyes stayed glued to each other. Being this close to his face again made her heart beat faster. She shifted her gaze to his sharp jaw and firm lips, briefly forgetting what was happening on the other side of the door. The hint of whisky on his breath that she could almost taste drew her a millimeter closer. She could've sworn he glanced down at her lips.

Yet she quickly made a face and lifted her shoulders when the smacking kiss sounds from the main room hit her ears again. Don't throw up, Lex. Don't throw up!

Scarlett giggled. "Jason, we should stop. Our daughter, who is likely roaming around right now trying to find us, might walk in here any second."

"Alright, you're right. But let's make sure to continue this later tonight. We'll tell the kids we need to work on something."

"Good thinking!" Scarlett said before the pair made their way out of the room.

As soon as the door shut, Lexi burst out of the closet. Placing her hands on her knees, she focused on settling the bile in her stomach. "I'm so glad that major disaster didn't pan out!"

Tom slid his hand through his hair and adjusted his white button-down. "That would've been...awkward to say the least."

"We should not be here," Lexi said as she moved to straighten her dress. When she glanced back up, Tom's eyes were on her figure. He quickly shifted them down to the floor and rubbed his palm against the back of his neck.

"You need to drop my class," he said in an even tone.

"No."

"Well, if you're not going to, then just know it's going to be ten times harder for you to get through the coursework."

Lexi scowled. "Is that a threat?"

Tom returned her scowl and shrugged. "I said what I said."

"I would expect nothing less from an asshole. You know, I actually thought there was a chance you were a decent person. Now I'm realizing you're just, y-you're just a big meanie!"

"Oh, I'm the meanie?" Tom whispered harshly. "That's rich from someone who literally can't listen to a word I say for two goddamn seconds! Like hello? Earth to Hannah! Can you not run away when someone tries to talk to you like an adult!"