35

It's Friday, the last day of the week and it's the weekend.

I approached my office building with heavy feet. Being here means spending time with Alex.

Well, not really spending time with her, but I will be at her office the whole day with her in it.

Last night after Brian dropped me off, and even after I showered, I stayed up late. Had a pity party for me so I cried mostly. I think I just had 3 hours of sleep, I didn't go to the shelter nor the gym.

Before I went to Alex's office, I passed by the pantry and made myself a coffee. I will be busy for sure so I better start my day with caffeine.

When I stepped out, I saw my colleagues gathering in front of Alex's office.

"What's going on?" I asked Tom.

"Ms. Williams asked us to gather here."

"Ohh."

I positioned myself near my table where I put down my purse. 

"Is everybody here?" Alex asked.

Alex looked around the room to see the faces of the people. 

My nerves were heightened when she found my eyes and stared at me for a while. In order to keep her from looking at me, I had to avert my eyes.

"Okay, listen up." She said taking everybody's attention.

"As most of you know, next week is the 27th year anniversary of Williams and Brown and as most of you know, we always held a gathering somewhere. This year, I decided for the whole company to go for a beach outing."

"Whoooo!" I heard my colleagues cheer.

"Okay! Okay!" Alex trying to hush them down.

"I don't want to take up your weekends so, by Wednesday next week, we will all be leaving. I have rented a whole island for all of us to occupy for three nights and four days."

The cheering started again, and everybody was happy.

"The full details will be sent out today by the HR department, including meeting time, location, etc. All those who will not be able to join must have a valid reason and for pending approval by the management." 

Alex looked at my side.

"Remember, attendance is mandatory. There will be team-building exercises, we hired live bands and some other stuff happening there so I expect everybody to join. That's all, thank you."

As soon as she went inside her office, the crowd began to express their excitement again. 

And even if I was already inside Alex's office, I could still hear the noise coming from outside.

"Good morning, Ms. Greene." Alex greeted me.

"Good morning, Ms. Williams." I greeted her back.

"You look like you didn't sleep, late date night?" Her brown piercing eyes were staring at me intently, waiting for me to answer.

"Yeah, you can say that." I told her casually. 

Before I looked away, I saw her expression change, I would've seen her face clearly if only I stared at her for a few more seconds. But I didn't want to prolong the conversation and thought that it would be better if I always cut it short by looking away.

_________________________________

I ended up not going to Lisa's invitation to hang out and promised them to next time.

The days went very fast, Brian and I fell into a routine for a few days now where he would take me home every night unless he had a meeting or something.