ch 12 - jo

Alex and I decided to move to the stools by the window looking into the room they were recording in, and it was one of the best decisions we have ever made. Phoebe told us which button to press for us to be able to talk over the speakers in their room, and we were ready to watch. Without thinking, we each gave two thumbs up, and I smiled at Julien to let her know I was paying attention.

"So this one's called Salt In The Wound," Phoebe said into her mic. "We hope you like it."

"But again, if you don't, please don't tell us," Lucy said, causing everyone to laugh.

The three of them strummed their guitars, and Lucy stepped back up to her microphone.

"You put salt in the wound, and a kiss on my cheek," she sang in her slightly raspy voice. "You butter me up, and you sit down to eat. You add insult to injury. You say you believe in me, but you haven't decided about taking or leaving me."

Listening to her singing these sad lyrics with such emotion in her voice gave me chills. That paired with all three of their guitar parts was already making for a beautiful song.

"But you take, and you take," Lucy continued.

"Like silks up my sleeve," Julien and Phoebe harmonized with her.

They continued the chorus with Lucy singing the first part of the sentence herself, and Julien and Phoebe chiming in for the second part of the sentence.

"And you unrelentingly ask for the secret," they all harmonized together.

I was so excited to get to hear more of Julien's voice. Her high harmonies were absolutely beautiful, and I was enjoying every second of it.

"Neck full of mockingbirds, all calling your name," Julien sang out. "I tried to sing it all back like I heard, but it don't sound the same."

Her voice was absolutely mesmerizing. I also would never complain about watching her tattooed hands play her guitar.

"I'm gnashing my teeth," Julien belted. "Like a child of Cain. If this is a prison, I'm willing to burn my own chain," she continued with just as much power.

"Oh my god," I said to Alex.

"That was so hot," Alex replied, nodding.

They sang the chorus again and I could not stop staring at Julien. The way her face contorted when she belted her lyrics burned into the back of my mind. That's something to think about when I go to bed tonight, I thought to myself.

"They say the hearts and minds are on your side," They all sang together in perfect harmony. "They say the finish line is in your sights."

Lucy's deeper voice with Phoebe's tone and Julien's high harmonies hit so hard that I started to tear up. It was genuinely just the perfect combination of their talents.

"What they don't say is what's on the other," they sang out with more power than the last two lines. I watched as Julien took a deep breath before I heard her scream out, "siiiiide."

"Holy shit," I said, turning to Alex with wide eyes.

"She's so hot," Alex said with a nod again.

"They say the hearts and minds are on your siiiiiiiide," they sang out as Julien screamed again.

They just played their guitars for the end of the song, and I had to wipe my tears away before I pressed on the button that let me speak into the microphone.

"Holy fucking shit," I said, before I could think about what was coming out of my mouth. "That was the hottest thing I have ever seen."

"I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree," Ales said into the mic.

I could tell they were all flattered, but Julien was hardcore blushing and I wasn't sure if her face was red because she was embarrassed or because she just gave that song everything she had.

"We're gonna take a short break because that song is a lot to recover from," Lucy said into her mic as Phoebe and Julien started to take their guitars off. Without removing her guitar, Lucy stepped out of the room and shut the door behind her so Julien and Phoebe were not a part of our conversation.

"You gotta sing us something," Lucy said to me. "I'm literally begging. We picked that song so Juls could show off her talents to you, now it's your turn," she said with authority.

"I don't know, Luce," I said hesitantly.

"Come onnnnn. Pleeeeeease," she whined.

"What would I even sing? I don't have a good option."

"I can play literally any song you could think of on guitar, the options are limitless," she said in a serious tone. "Phoebe and Julien can come out here and rest, I can sit in there with you and play whatever song you choose, and everyone wins."

"Well not everyone. When do you get to rest?" I asked her with concern in my voice.

"The next song we have doesn't take much out of me, I will not lie. And I do win, because I get to hear you sing and I have been dying to hear more ever since Alex sent that video. Please, Jo? For me?"

When I looked up at her, she was making the sad puppy dog eyes at me. I tried to turn to Alex for support, but they just looked at me with no emotion.

"You know I'm with Lucy on this one, babe," they said, shrugging their shoulders.

"YAY!" Lucy screamed, jumping up and down.

"Why's Lucy jumping up and down like she just won the lottery?" Julien asked as she opened the door and stuck her head out.

"Jo's gonna sing for us!" she announced, causing Phoebe to come out of the room and high five her.

"For real?" Julien asked in my direction.

I nodded shyly toward her, and she smiled like she was the happiest person on the planet. I watched as Phoebe walked over to sit down on the stool to the right of Alex as Julien sat down on the stool to their left.

"What are you gonna sing?" Phoebe asked.

"I actually don't know. I hardly agreed to do it in the first place, let alone make it far enough in to the deal to pick a song," I admitted.

"Hold on," Alex said, standing up from their stool.

Alex walked over to Lucy and motioned for her to stop over by the couch with them. I watched as they walked away until Phoebe's voice brought me back into the present.

"So how'd you like Salt In The Wound?" she asked me.

"Are you kidding me? That was fucking amazing!" I all but shouted, causing the two of them to laugh. "Julien, your voice is insane! Yours is too Phoebe, please don't think I think you're anything less than incredible, but those SCREAMS!" I said, emphasizing the last word.

"Thank you," Julien blushed.

As Phoebe, Julien, and I continued to talk about Salt In The Wound, I completely forgot that Alex had pulled Lucy away. That is, until they walked back over to us and Lucy grabbed my arm.

"Let's go miss girl. It's showtime," she said.