XLIX

My Christmas List: December 20th
Please keep Armani safe at all times. 

❆❆❆❆❆❆

"Miracle," Armani's voice echoed throughout the halls, but I only stayed silent as I stood in the bathroom connected to her bedroom.

Even after a few minutes of silence, and trying to calm myself down, I still felt so angry.

I didn't like that Armani didn't tell me and then on top of that, she was in such a dangerous position already—what would happen if the Strix came after her, if they could kill her grandfather then they could surely kill her too?

And so this entire time, her plan was to not tell me?

"Miracle," I heard Armani say, but her voice was much closer this time, which easily made my eyes snap over to the open doorway.

"You lied to me," I said, shaking my head as I looked back at my reflection.

Armani took a couple of steps into the bathroom, "I know it was wrong, but I was only trying to protect you."

"Then you continued to keep it from me..." I said, not bothering to acknowledge her previous statement. "And flew me out to Italy as a made-up date when in reality it was just to get away from them."

Armani sighed, "God, it sounds so terrible when you put it that way."

"Because it is terrible!" I said, feeling something within my snap. However, when Armani's eyes widened, I quickly cleared my throat, noticing my own hostile tone, "Because it is terrible," I repeated, but this time my voice was lowered and brittle.

Armani pinched the bridge of her nose, exhaling a calm breath before looking back at me.

"What do you want me to say? Do you want me to say I'm sorry? Because I won't mean it, Miracle. I swear I won't mean it, not when all I want to do is protect you," she said, her voice rising in volume as her jaw physically tightened. "And you know I can't even sit here and say it won't happen again. Do you know why?" she asked, but I only stayed silent. She took another step toward me, "Because it will—I will do it again. I would lie to you—I would do anything, absolutely anything to protect you. So how's that for an apology?"

I felt tears weigh my eyes down, glancing over to Armani, and her irritated expression quickly faded—gone as soon as she laid eyes on me.

"But I am sorry," she said, and I couldn't help the broken sob that left my lips, leaning against the cold sink for stability. "I'm so sorry that it has to be this way, and I can say that I truly mean that."

But it wasn't even that she lied to me, and I somehow knew that.

I shook my head, crying harder as my hand stayed pressed to my mouth, muffling my cries.

Armani was quick to pull me into her arms, holding me tightly to her body as she guided us down to the cold tile floors.

"I can't," I cried out burying my face into her chest.

Armani only held me tighter, "You can't?"

I only cried harder, "I can't lose you—I won't lose you. Please."